Events calendar Sept. 27-Oct. 3

Compiled by Angel Feliciano, News Staff

Entry of the week: 
Saturday, Sept. 29
Come on, babe, why don’t we paint the town? And all that jazz? Year after year, the Berklee BeanTown Jazz Festival has entertained thousands of audience members with jazz, Latin, blues and other acts. Many people come to dance, sing, enjoy and support some of town’s world class musicians. The festival stretches six blocks filled with stages. There will be 70 booths of vendors with great eats, face painting, photos and an instrument painting zoo. This jazzy festival is the place to be this Saturday afternoon. Columbus Avenue between Burke Street and Massachusetts Avenue, Boston; 12 p.m.; Free; www.beantownjazz.org

Thursday, Sept. 27
Tired of eating the same, unhealthy food everyday? Have you gained the freshman 15 yet? Looking for ways to learn how to make yourself healthy appetizers? If one of the answers to these questions is yes, then head over to Xhibition Kitchen and acquire free kitchen cooking classes. Nutritionist Christine McCarthy Clark will be giving an educational foundation of cooking healthy foods, and executive chef Tom Barton will be sharing his practicum experience. Students will learn invaluable skills on how to cook healthy appetizers for themselves and learn tips to live and enjoy a healthier life. This class will be on a first come, first serve basis. Stetson West Eatery; 12 p.m.; Free; www.nudining.com

Friday, Sept. 28
Looking for something to do on a Friday night for free? Check out the Movement at the Mills, a collaboration by local and national choreographers showcasing dances they came up with. There will be performances around empty spaces as audience members walk through the gallery. This artwork is seen as an exciting way to experience dance. Mills Gallery, 551 Tremont St., Boston; 7 p.m.; Free; www.bcaonline.org

Saturday, Sept. 29
Want to know the latest trends in college fashion? HerCampus, a website for college girls, presents College Fashion Week. The show will feature designs by motivated and stylish students that will showcase and define their vision on how to dress and look chic in classrooms, the gym, nights out on the town and formally dressing up for events. Check out HerCampus models strutting  the latest finds all while staying on a budget. Register at the website. The Estate, 1 Boylston Pl. Boston; 6 p.m.; Free; www.hercampus.com

If you haven’t seen Boston’s iconic Fenway Park, now is the time to do so – for free. Tour the park and get your photograph taken in front of the center field scoreboard. College Day at Fenway Park welcomes back college students and offers students a chance to explore Boston’s local brands in the historic stadium. Additionally, there will be games, prizes and more free swag. The ballpark marks its 100th Anniversary this year. Fenway Park, 4 Yawkey Way, Boston; 11 a.m.; Free.

Sunday, Sept. 30  
Looking for new places to brunch on a Sunday? Check out the Phantom Gourmet Food Festival, which is located near Fenway Park. Both an indoor and outdoor event, local eateries will be supplying the grub. Scrumptious foods like Firecracker shrimps, Nutella coffee cake, nacho buffet and mini pies will be served. Additionally, there will be temporary tattoos and inflatable slides. All proceeds benefit the Joey Fund & Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Landsdowne Street, Boston; 12 p.m.; $15 – $20 at Door; www.foodfest.phantomgourmet.com

Monday, Oct. 1
The month of October not only marks Halloween, colorful foliage and pumpkin spices, it also marks Oktoberfests which means… beer. Along with beers from Harpoon Brewery, there will also be German food, chicken dancing and a keg bowling game. Other foods and beers will be available for purchase. Harpoon Brewery, 306 Northern Ave. Boston; 2 p.m.; $20; www.harpoonbrewery.com

Tuesday, Oct. 2
Anyone who yearns for a new book to enjoy from time to time should read Luisa Weiss’s “My Berlin Kitchen: A Love Story with Recipes.” This book tells the story of a confused kitchen perfectionist who’s had an interesting series of life events such as breaking off an engagement and quitting her dream job to find herself through recipes. Weiss devoted herself to the kitchen, which she found to be home. While doing so, Weiss documented her adventures in and out of the kitchen through her blog, The Wednesday Chef. If you like cooking and food blogs come and listen to Luisa Weiss for a discussion of her book. Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge; 7 p.m.; Free; www.harvard.com

Wednesday, Oct. 3
One World. One Week. One Festival. The Manhattan Short Film Festival’s mission is to bring together audiences from around the world all for a week to support and view riveting short films. In the past couple of years, some of these films were nominated in the Oscars’ short film category. Some films in this year’s lineup are “The Devil’s Ballroom,” “Two and Two,” and “Where Does the Sea Flow?” Coolidge Corner Theatre, 290 Harvard St. Brookline; 11:45 a.m., 2:10 p.m., 9:30 p.m.; $7 – $9; www.coolidge.org