Huskygram.com bringing hipster to NU

By Yvanna Saint-Fort, News Correspondent

With its creation in October 2010, Instagram has given birth to a new generation of budding photographers. The free app allows users to create an account and post photos of just about anything, from Starbucks drinks to sporting events, dorm room décor and cats.

One Northeastern student took Instagram to the next level and created a website that filters Instagram photos taken on and around the university’s campus and compiles them in one place.

In early May of this year, while waiting for a flight back to Boston, third year computer science major Ali Ukani created Huskygram.com. He said the site gives a greater sense of community and adds to husky pride.

“It is a collage of what our student culture is like because what people decide to share is a good indicator of what’s important or interesting to them,” he said.

The way Huskygram works is simple: Let’s say you take a photo of you and your friends sunbathing on the roof of Curry Student Center, and then you decide to post it to Instagram.

After adding an effect and using the focus tool to give the photo a professional flair, but before pressing the “share” button, click the “name this location” option and add Northeastern University as the location.

Thanks to the automatic filtering tool that Ukani used in creating his site, the photograph will instantly appear on Huskygram.com. Since all of the pictures on the site are pulled from the public server, private account photos are not featured on the website. If at some point a user deletes the photo, it will also be deleted from the website.

According to the Instagram website, the app was created for three main reasons: To enhance photo quality, to allow for quick and easy sharing on all social networking sites and to make the process of uploading photos “fast and efficient.”

The creators of the app, Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger see Instagram as a “fun and quirky way to share your life with friends,” according to the Instagram website.

The features and the app’s mission statement directly align with Ukani’s purpose for creating the site. Ukani said that Huskygram.com allows him, other students and members of the Northeastern community to “see our campus through a different perspective.”

Another feature to the Instagram app that works well with Huskygram is that photos are not restricted for view by only Instagram users and their followers.

New options on the app allow Instagram pictures to be shared in multiple ways. Users have the choice to link their Instagram account with other social networking apps running on their phone, like foursquare and Flickr.

Since the site updates itself automatically, Ukani does not control the stream of photos that are posted, meaning that there is no limit on how often a user can have their photographs featured on the site.

Similarly, if anything distasteful or objectionable is posted on the site it remains there. Ukani said that he’d rather not spend time censoring what photos people share on Instagram, so instead he “relies on people having good judgment about what they share.”

With the possibility of Saturday night festivities or games of beer pong being featured on the website next to a photo of President Aoun or the dean of a college, Ukani finds the prospect of that to be “really funny.”

“Since the website updates itself automatically in the same sequence that the photos are uploaded to Instagram, it would be ironic that those two types of photos would be uploaded at the same time,” he said.

Ukani said he likes to see photos of people walking the slack line in front if Shillman Hall, people long-boarding or people attending MEISA (Music Entertainment Industries Student Association) events.

Ukani is currently on co-op, working for Goldman Sachs in Boston as an application developer analyst. Although he is based in Boston and still on-campus in the evenings, he sees Huskygram as a good way for him and for students on co-op to stay in touch with what’s happening on-campus.

He enjoyed seeing photos of Welcome Week events, especially one particular photo of someone walking into their dorm for the first time this semester.

This is just one example of how Huskygram showcases the day-to-day life of a Northeastern student.