Under the Lights: Jill Briner

By Elizabeth Thomas, News Staff

Sophomore setter Jill Briner was able to lead the Huskies to a victory over the College of William & Mary this past Sunday at Solomon Court.  Briner recorded her third career triple-double with 12 kills, 20 assists and 11 digs in the Huskies’ 14th win of the season.

“It was a tough game but I knew all the girls were working very hard to come up with a win,” Briner said. “It just felt great to help with that win in any way I could.”

An Oak Park, Ill. native, Briner credits her immense family support for her success.

“I’ve played volleyball since I was 6,” she said. “My parents knew I was going to be tall and they both loved volleyball and played it.  So once I came around they were there to help me into it.”

Growing up an adopted only child, Briner’s parents knew from a young age that she would flourish in volleyball.

“They were both too short to play competitively and I’ve always been tall, so they just knew it was something I would love to play just like them and be better since I am taller,” Briner said. “They both have helped me tremendously and I wouldn’t be able to play at the level I am at now without them.”

While the season wears on, Briner rigorously works on her academics, realizing how cruvial it is to be successful not only on the court, but in the classroom.

“I know it’s super important to get a good co-op and try and manage that with playing and good grades,” she said.

Briner said she has nothing but faith in her team making the post season and knows what she needs to do to improve herself to help them get there.

“We can definitely make it far into the post season with this team we have now. Everyone contributes a lot and knows that each person plays an important piece in getting us there,” Briner said.

“There are personal things I need to do better too and I will work on them nonstop these last games here, if it means we could get the chance of making it to the playoffs.”

Northeastern’s next game will be against Colonial Athletic Association rivals George Mason University tomorrow at 7 p.m. at Solomon Court.