On Whit’s end: Whitney Port of “The Hills” speaks with aspiring fashionistas

Photo Courtesy/Hope Kauffman

By Daniel Christopher Sabau, News Correspondent

The crowd was made up of 88 percent girls who watched “The Hills,” “The City” and love pop culture. They came dressed in sorority t-shirts, stylish blazers and trendy boots to impress their fashion idol. They asked for advice and laughed with the star about everyday things like college life and dating.

They gathered in Blackman Auditorium on Oct. 4 to hear Whitney Port of MTV fame speak about her charitable efforts, her time on reality TV and her fashion line.

Like any aspiring fashion designer, Whitney Port had her work cut out for her. Her career began at the University of Colorado – Boulder, where she spent two years before transferring to University of Southern California as a gender studies major.

“I switched majors a million times, I had no idea what I wanted to do, but I knew I wanted to be in fashion,” she said in her talk with Northeastern students on Oct. 4.

During her time at USC, Port interned at Teen Vogue, where she was chosen to co-star on the hit reality show, “The Hills” thus creating her platform for a future in the fashion industry. To the average viewer it may have seemed as if Port was handed a career, but what the cameras didn’t show was Port’s continuous resume building at companies, including Women’s Wear Daily, W Magazine, Diane Von Furstenberg and People’s Revolution.

“I feel like the experiences out of college were really what allowed me to follow my dreams and point me in the right direction,” she said.

She said she felt like a fish out of water when she first appeared on “The Hills.” Eventually, she fell into a routine of showing her work life on screen.

“I wouldn’t give the experience up for the world, it was different for me because it wasn’t my show, and I never really hit it off with Lauren. I just didn’t know people’s motives, so I was wary to join that crowd of kids.”

Port’s business-like approach to her role on “The Hills” created room for another spin-off show called “The City” which followed her to NYC, where she worked at Diane Von Furstenberg and People’s Revolution while simultaneously creating her clothing line, Whitney Eve.

During her time in the Big Apple, Port was guided by public relations maven heavyweight Kelly Cutrone, whose cutthroat attitude and work ethic helped Port create not just another generic clothing brand, but a couture fashion line that can be seen at high end boutiques and department stores across the country.

“Kelly has been really amazing and nurturing and motherly. She’s always told me to not be afraid to take risks and step outside the boundaries,” Port said.

Inspired by the everyday girl who is not afraid to take risks and challenges, Whitney Eve Spring 2013 is a collection of crown jewel-inspired pieces, featuring a range from pant suits to mini skirts and flowing gowns with a masculine-feminine edge.

“With my line, I really tried to make it comfortable and easy, something girls can feel comfortable [in] and just walk out the door in,” she said.

Port provides inspiration and sets an example for Northeastern students hoping to enter the world of fashion some day. Many attendees asked Port for her advice during the Q&A portion of the evening.

“Get experience in any field you can, internships have gotten me where I am today. Social media is also very important,” she said. “Establishing yourself online can help create your brand. Show the world what you can do. You Northeastern kids are already ahead of the game. I wish I had the opportunity you all do.”