Swimmers, coaches want to make a splash in CAA

By Chris Judd, News Correspondent 

(Photo courtesy Northeastern Athletics)

Northeastern women’s swimming and diving held its preseason Red vs. Black meet Saturday in preparation for its first match on Oct. 27 at home against the University of New Hampshire.

The Huskies are coming off of a season during which they finished sixth in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA).

“We want to improve from last year,” head coach Roy Coates said. “We want to move up at least one spot in the conference for this year. We’ve been following most of the same training schedule that we had last year.”

Northeastern returns all but four members from last year’s squad, but added four freshmen recruits: Sophie Browne, Taylor Brew, Megan Rutter, and walk-on Amanda Liew.

“All four freshmen are very good,” Coates said. “Megan [Rutter] has been injured, so we haven’t been able to see a lot from her, but I think all the freshmen will be able to contribute to the team.”

Senior tri-captain Cassandra Cesaro said the newcomers are already making an impact.

“Taylor [Brew] in particular is really killing it,” she said. “She’s stepping her game up and getting really into the sport. I think the inter-team meet helped all the freshmen because it gives them experience on what an actual meet is like in terms of the speed in which it happens and the order that events happen in.”

The meet also helped the team get a sense of how well their training has been going, Coates said.

During the CAA Championships last season, Northeastern set 11 school records to complement the 20 records it broke in regular season meets.

Anna Schegoleva, now a sophomore, set multiple school records throughout the year. She broke records in the 100-meter backstroke (56.31), 200-meter backstroke (2:00.10) and 200-meter individual medley (2:02.69).

During the summer, Schegoleva also set a Cypriot national record in the 200-meter IM (2:21.45) while competing at the Cyprus National Championship.

Upperclassmen made waves in the record books as well. Senior Keary McClernan set a school record last season in the 200-meter breaststroke (2:16.39). Third year-swimmer Julia Sepulveda set the record in the 400-meter IM (4:18.68). Her twin sister, Adriana Sepulveda, also a junior, set the school record in the 500-meter freestyle (4:56.34).

The Huskies hope to build off last year’s momentum with a strong showing this season.

“I’m really excited for the season,” Cesaro said. “We’ve been doing things now that normally we haven’t been able to do until November or December.”