Huskies come out on top in double OT

By Eoghan Kelly, News Staff

(News Photo/Zack Williamson)

The men’s soccer team was riding a 12-match home winning streak going into last night’s game against Hofstra University at Parsons Field – but a different streak secured their names in the Northeastern record books.

Senior midfielder Andre Ciliotta scored his first goal of the season 31 seconds into double overtime and senior goalkeeper Oliver Blum made a season-high six saves as the Huskies beat the Pride 1-0 Wednesday, marking their all-time program-best ninth consecutive contest without a loss.

The win boosted the Huskies into first place over Drexel University in the Colonial Athletic Association with  three conferences games left to play.

Northeastern is now 4-0-2 in games going into extra time and has earned at least a point in every match since a 4-1 defeat to the University of Michigan on Sept. 9.

“We always keep working, we always pick each other up and help each other out,” Blum said. “If someone makes a mistake, there’s always somebody there to cover and we’re just a strong team this year. We’ve got a good team attitude.”

Northeastern (10-1-2, 5-0-1 Colonial Athletic Association) was kept off the scoresheet in the first half for the third consecutive game. The Huskies dominated possession and scoring chances, but the Pride (9-4-1, 3-3 CAA) produced the best chance of the half when sophomore forward Maid Memic’s shot from inside the penalty box forced Blum to make a diving save to keep the game scoreless.

The teams combined for six shots on goal in the second half but could not break through either goalkeeper. Sophomore forward Donovan Fayd’Herbe de Maudave nearly gave the Huskies the game-winner in the 68th minute, but senior goalkeeper Adam Janowski made a fingertip save on Fayd’Herbe de Maudave’s curling ball.

Ciliotta finally netted the match’s deciding goal in the 111th minute off a cross from senior forward Don Anding. After combining with Fayd’Herbe de Maudave, Anding beat a defender on the right flank and slotted a ball from deep in the penalty box for Ciliotta to tap in for the game-winner.

“We started back in our half,” Ciliotta said. “I just tried to follow with [Anding] and he crossed it and I just put it in.”

Anding now has a team-best nine goals and five assists and is tied for the CAA lead in goals and points. Blum earned his fourth clean sheet of the season and is No. 1 in the conference in goals against average and save percentage.

The Huskies had pushed their unbeaten streak to eight games on Saturday courtesy of their three leading scorers.

Freshman forward Terence Carter, Anding and Fayd’Herbe de Maudave tallied goals in a decisive second half that propelled Northeastern past Georgia State University, 3-1.

Carter gave the Huskies their first lead of the game when he buried a cross from Anding in the 53rd minute. But the Panthers (4-8, 1-4 CAA) equalized seven minutes later when freshman forward William Mellors-Blair beat Blum to a loose ball and put a shot into the vacant net.

It took Anding just more than two minutes to respond with his fourth game-winner of the year, and Fayd’Herbe de Maudave added a late goal in the 79th minute to give the Huskies a bit of breathing room.

But the win didn’t come easily as Blum was forced to make each of his three saves in the final 12 minutes to preserve the win.

Northeastern will host the University of North Carolina-Wilmington at Parsons Field on Saturday as it looks to extend its home winning streak to 14 consecutive games – but head coach Brian Ainscough said that’s not something his team will be worried about.

“This is our home field, so even if we didn’t have a record that we have to protect, I don’t think that plays into it,” Ainscough said. “I just think it’s our home field and we go out and expect to win.”