Fright and fun at Coolidge Corner Horror Movie Marathon

By Amy Eisen, News Correspondent

A creaky door, a dead phone line, a group that dwindles smaller and smaller, sinister music, and a character waiting for death. These are the classic signs of a horror movie. This time of year, those signs are around every corner.

Halloween means horror films. The Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline is hosting their 12th annual Halloween Horror Movie Marathon on Saturday, Oct. 27. The marathon begins midnight Saturday and runs until noon Sunday with a double feature of two classic horror movies, followed by another five classic horror films. That’s 12 hours of Halloween fright and fun.

Jesse Hassinger, program manager at the Coolidge Corner Theatre, said they knew they wanted to do an annual event around Halloween as part of their Midnight Series, with a twist – it lasts from midnight until noon.

The organizers of the event take the film list very seriously. It takes them about four to five months to finalize the list. The long process of choosing movies begins in early summer, when they must decide if they want a theme, a specific movie to highlight or if a new reissue of a movie should be shown. Another important factor is the range of years the movies come from.

“We try to hit at least a few decades. This year we have films from the 70s, 80s and 90s. Some years we’ve gone back to the 60s and even early creature features from the 40s. We try to create what we feel is the best representation of horror movies,” Hassinger said.

The theater rarely shows more recent horror movies, as they have not yet reached “classic” status. The organizers want to show the audience films they haven’t seen before. Sometimes the films lean towards comedic horror or gory horror, but Hassinger said this year is scary all the way.

The marathon has been increasing in popularity over the years, proven by the rising attendance numbers. They had about 250-300 people last year, which was on the lower end, because Halloween weekend last year coincided with a blizzard. This year, they expect to sell out, with a total seat count of 440. Many students show up, but there is a wide age range of audience members, from people in their early 20s through late 40s.

While the titles of the double feature are released, the following five movies stay secret until they are shown. Tickets are available for just the double feature ($15), as well for the complete marathon ($20).

“Now that people have gotten used to the marathon they stay for the secret titles,” Hassinger said. “More and more people try to make it all night. Whether they can actually stay until noon is another thing. A lot of people duck out in the early morning; they just can’t make the entire thing.”

Last year, about 40 people remained at the theater until noon, which Hassinger said was a pretty high number for them. Even though the entire audience can’t handle the 12 hour marathon, more people purchase all night passes than double feature tickets said Hassinger.

“There’s a nice air of camaraderie that pushes people through. People hit a wall with watching movies and they just need to go out and chill and talk with others. Everyone feeds on the energy there,” Hassinger said.

An unusual feature of the Coolidge Corner Theatre is that they show many films on 35 mm reels rather than DVDs. This marathon is no exception, as all seven films will be shown on 35 mm.
Hassinger said the 35 mm adds to the scariness, but it also adds something special.

“It’s not something you can watch in your living room. That’s something we value. Even the scratches and blemishes add to the experience. In the past we showed “Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2” and the print was very beat up, but it added to the entire ambiance.”

The first film they are showing is the original 1973 theatrical version of “The Exorcist.” The movie is widely hailed as the best horror film ever made. It was nominated for the 1973 Academy Award for Best Picture, being the first horror film to enter into that category.

The second of the classic horror double feature is “The Thing,” a 1982 science fiction horror film about an alien life form that infiltrates an Arctic research station.

The rest of the lineup remains a secret, but it can be assured they will be equally frightening. In addition to the films, the Horror Movie Marathon will include a costume contest and the showing of special shorts and trailers from the theater’s archives.  There will also be live music from Allston’s stoner-metal goddess band Dream Warrior, and burlesque performances from The Betsi Feathers Burlesque Troupe.

The Halloween Horror Movie Marathon promises to be a long and scary night.