Editorial: Thanking vets for their service this Mon.

As another long weekend approaches, it would be foolish of students to look upon this one as just another chance to catch up on work, sleep or a social life. This weekend, and Monday in particular, is not about trying to get something extra out of the class-free day. It is about giving back to those who have already made sacrifices in the name of our country.

Please take the time on Monday to quietly reflect on the courage and patriotism of the men and women who have served in America’s military. On the eleventh day of the eleventh month, we should pause as a campus and as a country to remember those whose service has afforded us the freedoms we enjoy today.

Whether or not you agree with the concept of war, the reasons for going to war, or the commander in chief leading the war, there is no denying the heroism of those actually fighting the war. While it may be easy for college students to take for granted the service of others, we should look to the veterans memorial erected on campus in 2006 as a reminder that plenty of Americans our age have fought for our right to come to a university like Northeastern.

America is the land of the free because it is also the home of the brave, former War Information Chief Elmer Davis once said. It is because so many brave men and women have fought for this country that we are able to go to the polls and cast a ballot without fear, as many Americans did this week. There is no greater sacrifice than that made by our service men and women, and every American is forever in their debt.

But it is not enough to recall the service of veterans each November and then carry on with the rest of the year. The words of President John F. Kennedy, himself a Navy veteran, should serve as a reminder to always carry this nation’s veterans in our hearts.

“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.”