Rawlings earns shutout over Chargers, 3-0

By Sarah Moomaw, News Staff

Freshman forward Kevin Roy celebrated sophomore forward Ludwig Karlsson’s second goal of the night. Roy had the assist on the play. (News photo/Zack Williamson)

Senior goalie Chris Rawlings picked up his 10th shutout as a Husky, moving ahead of Brad Thiessen (2006-09) to hold the all-time shutout record for Northeastern goalies, as the men’s hockey team beat the University of Alabama-Huntsville 3-0 at Matthews Arena tonight.

“We got the win,” head coach Jim Madigan said. “We had a real good first period … it’s a win that allows us to build on tomorrow night.”

Northeastern entered tonight’s non-conference battle 1-2-2 in its last five non-conference openers, having only knocked off then-No. 11 Michigan, 4-1, on Nov. 25, 2011.

The Chargers came into Matthews Arena for their seventh consecutive road game in which they’ve been outscored 32-8.

The Huskies came out shooting against the winless Chargers (0-8-1), putting up 11 shots in the first 10 minutes of play.

Junior forward Braden Pimm took a pass in front of the goal from junior forward Cody Ferriero traveling along the boards and slipped it in at 13:06 for the first goal of the game.

Sophomore forward Ludwig Karlsson put the Huskies up by two with his second goal of the season at 17:13 when he one-timed a feed from freshman forward Kevin Roy.

The Huskies dominated the first period with 24 shots on goal to the Chargers six. They pushed that total to 38 by the end of the second, but couldn’t convert any into goals as the score held.

The third period opened with the Huskies still leading 2-0, but they would push it to three with a 5-on-3 power play by Karlsson at 5:57.

With under 10 minutes to play, Roy took a breakaway up the ice for a one-on-one with senior goalie John Griggs but his pads made the block to presever the score.

The Huskies finished the game with 54 shots on goal, the most this season, to the Chargers 19. The two team will rematch again tomorrow night at Matthews Arena. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m.