Northeastern men take on No Shave November

From left: Kishan Mistry, Mike Goldenthal and Andrew Kearns participated in the Northeastern No Shave November competition.
News Staff Photo/Maureen Quinlan

By Maureen Quinlan, News Staff

The hipster movement brought back the coolness of the mustache. Lumberjacks were onto something about the functionality of facial hair. And Johnny Depp’s Captain Jack Sparrow made the art of the beard an envied practice. For 30 days men everywhere take a stab at trying these styles all in the name of a good cause. A few Northeastern men have joined millions across the country to stop shaving for the month of November.

Phi Delta Chi Professional Pharmacy Fraternity, the Student National Pharmaceutical Association (SNPHA), Colleges Against Cancer, Sigma Beta Rho Fraternity, Phi Delta Theta Fraternity, Beta Chi Theta Fraternity and Pi Delta Psi Fraternity collaborated to host the No Shave November competition, which aims to raise awareness and money for the Prostate Cancer Foundation (PCF).

“This was the first year for this,” said Kishan Mistry, a third year pharmacy major and member of Phi Delta Chi who came up with the idea and coordinated the event. “Northeastern doesn’t have campus-wide events like this, so I thought it would be a good thing to do.”

The idea came to Mistry when he was talking with one of his pharmacy professors about prostate cancer awareness. “Everyone knows about breast cancer, but not that many people are aware of how serious prostate cancer can be,” he said. Mistry is also participating in the contest.

Along with Mistry, 19 men registered between Oct. 22 and Nov. 1 to stop shaving for the month of November. The registration fee was $10 for early registration and $15 for late registration.

The contest takes place on the Northeastern No Shave November Facebook page, where the contestants post pictures of their progressive beards at the end of each week. The man with the most overall likes on his photos will win the title of No Shave November champion.

In addition to the money made from registration, students can donate money to the jars at the No Shave November table in Curry Student Center on Fridays. The jars have the pictures of all 19 participants. Each dollar donated in each contestant’s jar counts as an additional 20 likes for that contestant.

A winner will be declared this Friday after one final picture is taken; he will earn the ability to donate 15 percent of the proceeds to the charity of his choice, a gift card, a certificate or trophy and bragging rights.

In the run for the win participants can represent an organization, such as one of the sponsoring groups, or dedicate their beards to someone.

Varun Thakkar
Photo Courtesy/ Northeastern No Shave November

Currently in the lead is sophomore business major Varun Thakkar of Beta Chi Theta Fraternity with 97 likes from week four, 118 likes from week three, 91 likes from week two and 162 from week one – not including any likes he has gained from donations.

To help him gain his cumulative 462 Facebook likes, his Delta Chi Theta brothers shared his photos on their page. He also shared it on his own page.

“I was really proactive,” Thakkar said. “I didn’t do it just to win, but I thought it was a good cause and wanted to get as much exposure for it as I could.”

Mistry also noted that participation was hindered by co-op, either men currently on co-op or interviewing this month for the next cycle were hesitant to commit to growing a beard for a full month. He was still proud of the 19 who did sign up.

Mike Goldenthal, a third year music industry major and No Shave November participant representing Phi Delta Theta fraternity, said this month has been a “solid experience.”

“Towards the end of the month it definitely gets harder,” he said. “But it’s for a good cause and it’s been good for extra warmth in the winter months.”

No Shave November is not just a Northeastern activity, but a national one as well. No-Shave November is a non-profit organization founded in 2009 to raise money and awareness for the American Cancer Society. It gathers together anyone looking to grow a beard during the 11th month of the year for a good cause. Its Facebook page has 2,764 likes.

“It seems to be a big thing this year,” said Andrew Kearns, a junior economics major also representing Phi Delta Theta. “No Shave November and Movember have really caught on which is great because it raises awareness and money for a good cause.”

Despite the popularity of the movement, Kearns had to abandon his full facial hair. His beard came in patchy during the fourth week, so he shaved it down to a mustache. However, he is still in the running. “It was a good excuse to grow out my beard to see what it would look like,” he said.

Andrew Kearns
Photo Courtesy/Northeastern No Shave November

Thakkar grew his beard out to avoid having to worry about shaving, but said his mother warned him what would come of it.

“In high school my mom only let me go three or four days without shaving, so this was the first time I’ve ever gone a month,” he said. “It was a lot more appealing at first glance. Now people don’t recognize me. I guess the moral of the story is that Mom’s always right.”

Come Dec. 1, Goldenthal, Thakkar and Kearns plan to shave a month’s worth of facial hair away. Though there are things they will and will not miss.

“I just look kinda grubby,” Goldenthal said. “My family kept asking me if they sell razors at school.”

Kearns’ and Mistry’s families had similar responses. “I love seeing people’s reactions,” Kearns said. “My family kept asking me, ‘What have you done to your face?’ You just have to laugh at yourself.”

Thakkar said he is going to take a picture and shave it all off at midnight after the last day of competition. “My girlfriend’s not a fan of it either, so I think we’re both looking forward to Dec. 1.”

Mistry is proud of the beard he’s grown and everything the competition has accomplished.

At press time, No Shave November has raised approximately $200 for PCF. “For our first year, I think it has been a success and we accomplished our goal,” Mistry said. “I’m really proud of what it has become.”

He plans to keep his beard after the competition. “My goal is to be like King Leonitus from ‘300.’”

The No Shave November table will be set up in Curry this Friday for a final collection of donations. Check out the Facebook page, Northeastern No Shave November, to see the full progression of all 19 participants.