CAA tourney loss ends volleyball’s season

By Madeline Sattler, News Staff

Despite being eliminated in the first round of the postseason, the Northeastern volleyball team’s 2012 season still leaves them near the top of university record books.

The Huskies went 20-6 in the regular season and 9-3 against Colonial Athletic Association teams. They finished third in the conference, but were eliminated from the tournament by the James Madison University Dukes in a five-set marathon (25-21, 25-22, 23-25, 27-29, 7-15).

After going up two sets, JMU won three straight to complete the upset and end Northeastern’s season.

“The sting hasn’t gone away. Clearly it was a well fought match,” head coach Ken Nichols said. “Once we got into the third and fourth set we were just going back and forth.”

Junior outside hitters Hanna Gibeau and Kelly Bacon led the offense in the game with 22 and 20 kills respectively. Sophomore setter Jillian Briner recorded 31 assists and scooped up 26 digs. Junior setter Ina Kamenova had 27 assists while sophomore libero Natalia Skiba anchored the defense with 30 digs.

Although the season ended abruptly, the Huskies still have a lot to be proud of. Their record of 20 wins is the second-most in program history.

“In terms of what we can take away from the season, we were consistently excellent,” Nichols said. “There are a couple hundred coaches in the country that would kill to have a 20-win season.”

Northeastern posted a perfect 11-0 record at home this year. They haven’t dropped a home game since Sept. 30, 2011 when they were swept by the University of Delaware.

“We had a big long run at home and we were exceptional at home,” Nichols said. “I think if our home and away schedule had been more balanced, things would not have appeared as dramatic.”

The Huskies also swept the season series against Hofstra University, a feat they weren’t able to accomplish last year.

They won the Beanpot Classic to open the season with three wins against the University of Alabama, Holy Cross and Sacred Heart University.

The Huskies also hosted and won the New England Classic defeating Boston College, Harvard University and the University of Connecticut in the process.

“We played a high level of competition,” Nichols said.

Along with the team success, several players also received individual accolades.

Bacon was named CAA Volleyball Player of the Year in a vote by the CAA’s head coaches. She was also named to the All-CAA First Team along with senior middle hitter Nicole Bishop. Skiba and Briner were selected for the All-CAA Third Team.

“I think it’s important to remind ourselves looking back, that we are still somewhat young,” Nichols said.

The Huskies are only graduating two seniors this year, Bishop and outside hitter Jasmine Marta, so a very similar team is returning next season.

The Huskies will work on building on this season’s strong showing and come back next year hungry for the CAA title.

“I’m blessed to be in a program that is as well supported as ours, and we are already back to work,” Nichols said. “This is the nature of what we do. When you’re trying to pursue excellence, you don’t need to take time off.”