Event calendar: Jan. 17-23

Compiled by Sara Tucker, News Staff

FEATURE: Tuesday, Jan. 22
The Frog Pond in the Boston Common is open for public use in the winter, and Tuesday nights are college nights, with half-price entry into the pond. Get there at 6 p.m. and pay $2 for entry and $9 for skates to get up to three hours of skating, until closing at 9 p.m. If you’re more experienced and have your own skates, bring those instead (and get them sharpened for $8). The rink is large, but there is a limit to the number of people who can skate at once, so this is a great opportunity for beginners and for more experienced skaters who will have room to get around those hugging the wall. Take a break from homework and hit the ice instead. 84 Beacon St.; 6 p.m.; $11; bostonfrogpond.com

Thursday, Jan. 17
For music lovers: The Middle East Upstairs is hosting the Sanctum Sound Showcase tonight as an opportunity for artists to make a name for themselves or to expand their fan base. Rather than paying a few dollars for several different events, the showcase features 15 different up-and-coming artists. Louie Bello, Rosewood & Drew B., Rimes and Karlton Marz, to name a few, for one price. The event is 18+ with an ID. 472 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge; 7 p.m.; $12 in advance, $15 day of show; mideastclub.com.

Friday, Jan. 18
For the older crowd on campus, dbar in Dorchester is hosting Pop Rocks Fridays this year. Take the Red Line to the Field’s Corner T stop for a night that begins at 10. Music from the 80s, 90s, and the past decade will be playing all night (with no cover charge) and dancing is optional. Those not interested in dancing can get a booth where food and drinks will be served until 2 a.m. The bar has been recently renovated from an Irish pub to something a bit fancier, so dress for the occasion. 1236 Dorchester Ave.; 10 p.m.; free; dbarboston.com.

Saturday, Jan. 19
Working out at Northeastern often means paying for classes or sessions that may not be compatible with all schedules. The Marino Center offers classes for a price, and even then many students complain that the ambiance isn’t exactly ideal, especially during yoga classes. If this sounds familiar, the Sacred Space in Ell Hall is offering a free hour-long session, hosted by Jackie Myers. This offer started Jan. 12, so for those interested, this is the last chance to try the class for free. Yoga classes will be offered weekly for 10 sessions after Saturday on several different days for a price of $50, which pays for all 10 classes. If interested, bring a check with you to the class.
342 Huntington Ave., 203 Ell Hall; 11 a.m.; free; calendar.northeastern.edu.

Sunday, Jan. 20
The House of Blues is a favorite among Northeastern students, but normally the prices to get into a show are pretty steep. The House of Blues and local Boston vendors will be hosting the “Make Noise” for Suicide Prevention event. Joe Bermudez of local radio station 103.3 FM will be DJing the event, whose purpose is not to raise money, but to raise awareness. So what’s the entry fee? There isn’t one. All guests above the age of 18 are invited to this night of dancing and fun. RSVP to the event by emailing [email protected].
15 Lansdowne St.; 7 p.m.; free; samaritanshope.org.

Monday, Jan. 21
For those struggling with ideas for the day off, the Museum of Fine Arts has taken care of that for everyone with free entry to the museum on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Although undergrads can get in for free any day, this offer is open to the general public. And for those not particularly interested in art, the Mario Testino exhibit features photographs of the British Royal Family and famous celebrities like Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Lopez, Emma Watson and Tom Brady. To redeem this offer, visit the MFA’s Facebook page and take the email offer with you on Monday. Those with the offer with also receive a free gift.
465 Huntington Avenue; 10 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.; free; facebook.com/mfaboston.

Wednesday, Jan. 23
-Astronomy majors, stargazers and date night connoisseurs: the Boston University Observatory has opened its doors to you for free on Wednesday nights. Weather permitting, telescopes and binoculars will be available for public use, as well as a guide who will point out several star clusters and constellations and explain a bit about astronomy. Bring friends or a date for a night under the stars. In the event of rain, snow, fog or haze, the viewing will be cancelled. 725 Commonwealth Ave.; 7:30 p.m.; free; bu.edu/astronomy/events/