The Wayans bros. took NU centerstage, cracked audience with vulgar jokes

News Photo/Daniel Christopher Sabau

By Daniel Christopher Sabau, News Correspondent 

When the Wayans brothers come to mind, people may associate the hilarious, quirky pair with classic comedies such as “White Chicks,” “Scary Movie” and most recently 2013’s “A Haunted House.” Hailing from the “First Family of Entertainment,” this duo is more than a good laugh. Continuing with their comedic route, Marlon and Shawn Wayans visited Northeastern University on Monday night to a full audience at Blackman Auditorium, hosted by Kappa Sigma fraternity. 

Brooklyn native Wil Sylvince – featured on Comedy Central and BET Comic View – warmed up the crowd of 600 consisting of Greek society, students and alumni alike, with stories of his strict Haitian childhood, sex life and multiple digs at the diverse nationalities spread amongst the crowd. Sylvince’s comedic timing proved a favorite among all, and there was not a dry eye in the building, creating a roaring mass fit to welcome the dynamic fraternal Wayans duo.

As the youngest of 10 siblings, Marlon and Shawn had a lot to live up to. Being a part of one of the most complex African-American entertainment families in the world, boasting generations of actors, models, producers, composers, writers and directors; it was not all red carpet and paparazzi for these boys. Marlon, the youngest of the Wayans clan, graduated from LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts before attending Howard University. Shawn, the second youngest chose a different route and began his career on the family’s Fox sketch comedy show, “In Living Color” created by brothers, Keenan and Damon.

“It was still a continued struggle to make a name for ourselves,” Marlon said. The duo went on to produce and work on other projects including another sketch comedy show, “The Wayans Bros.,” “My Wife and Kids,” and films such as “Dance Flick,” “Major Payne,” “Little Man” and the “Scary Movie” franchise. Marlon went on to be cast in more dramatic roles in “GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra” and Darren Aronofsky’s “Requiem for a Dream.”

Taking the stage first was younger brother Marlon; he arrived in true comedic form and began his performance by mocking the crowd of eager college students.

“Y’all white kids are a damn mess, you can’t handle your liquor. In college, the party doesn’t start until a white guy throws up, and even then, when the cops come, y’all don’t care about them, mouthing off and such. Y’all created cops, to chase my black ass around … that’s why I don’t hang out with Channing Tatum anymore,” said an exuberant Wayans. His jokes were met with cries of raucous laughter that echoed his equally rowdy behavior on stage.

He continued his set by energetically pacing the stage, bashing the Los Angeles Lakers and Kobe Bryant, and praising the Boston Celtics for being real men.

“Kobe’s a bitch, he couldn’t handle the heat of a cheating scandal so he had to go and accuse Shaq’s deficient self of doing the same thing,” he said. “We all know Shaq can’t defend himself with words … the man is a seven foot toddler. The Celtics don’t play like that.”

Following suit, Shawn Wayans took to the stage with just as much energy – not to mention crass jokes – as his younger brother.

Wayans kicked off his standup routine with digs at celebrities such as Kim Kardashian and Rick Ross.

“Why does Rick Ross always have his breasts hanging out?  Brother needs to take a look in the mirror cause he’s shaped like a damn sea lion … ain’t nobody got time for that,” joked Wayans.

Shawn continued on with quips about the new generation of rap, mocking artists for the over sexualization of lyrics.

“Back in the day, you could really jam out to rap, anyone could, now, all I hear is ‘I was gettin’ some head, get, gettin’ some head’ … what the hell is going on? Lil Wayne has lost his damn mind.”

Closing the show, the Wayans teased of a follow-up film to their 2004 hit, “White Chicks,” which in itself created a massive roar from the crowd of fans as the brothers exited the stage.

It seemed as if all of Blackman is ready for another round of Tiffany and Brittany Wilson. Stay tuned.