Storefront getting its wings

The former site of Gnomon Copy will soon be home to Wings Over Boston.
News Staff Photo/Matt Greene

By Stephanie Eisemann, News Correspondent

For anyone in the digital generation, the idea of a copy shop is as foreign as platform shoes or speak-easies. Surely the copy place is just a novelty, reminiscent of those old episodes of “Friends,” but no longer a reality. The space at 325 Huntington Avenue was once home to Gnomon Copy, but it will soon become a timeless college staple: a chicken wings restaurant.

Robert Savin, president of Savin Foods, which owns Wings Over Boston, said the chain is hoping to open a new location in the old Gnomon space in the beginning of April. The storefront has remained dormant since Gnomon closed in 2010. Every day, students bustle by the address, which is just a few doors down from Speare Hall.

The restaurant will be open “11 a.m. to midnight Sunday through Thursday, and 11 a.m. to 2 a..m. Friday and Saturday,” Savin said in a phone interview, listing promising hours for college wing-lovers and late-night eaters alike.

But Savin said his company has no plans as of now to be affiliated with Northeastern specifically.

Wings Over Boston is just one of many locations for the Wings Over chain; the restaurant lists dozens of locations on its website spanning from Massachusetts to Ohio, New York and Washington, D.C. In addition to the forthcoming Boston location, the chain is also expanding to New Haven, Conn. and Pittsburgh, Pa. according to the website.

The chain’s menu boasts a variety of specials to choose from. It includes everything from the DC-3, a four- to six-piece meal, to the Zeppelin, an order consisting of six pounds of chicken. Sauces include variations of buffalo, barbecue and teriyaki flavors at varying degrees of spiciness, and while wings are clearly the signature dish at Wings Over, the restaurant also offers racks of ribs, sandwiches, burgers, fries (both regular and waffle), onion rings, macaroni salad and a variety of meals.

While the Wings Over franchise acknowledges on its website that “common sense dictates that a diet solely consisting of fried chicken, French fries, and many of the other foods we and others serve will be unhealthy over time if not part of an overall well-balanced diet,” the chain also prides itself on the fact that “all of our chicken and ribs are handmade and unprocessed.” Founders Patrick Daly and Harold Tramazzo started the company, the Wings Over website says. The franchise offers takeout and delivery service.

Daly and Tramazzo soon made an important discovery that drove their success and is still true today, according to their company’s website, 14 years later: “People, especially college kids, loved the idea of having wings delivered to them.”