Lippert shows promise with early success

By Elizabeth Thomas, News Staff

Northeastern sophomore left-handed pitcher Isaac Lippert was named Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) Co-Pitcher of the week on Monday. Lippert drew the honors with his seven-shutout innings of pitching for a complete game win against the Huskies’ home opener against the Boston College Eagles on March 15.

“It felt good, I just went out there and pitched. It just shows that hard work pays off sometimes,” Lippert said of his pitching performance.

He is now 1-0 on the year, with a 3.21 ERA, including seven strikeouts in 14 innings of work, moving him to the fourth best on the pitching staff.

The sophomore transfer said he thought he wouldn’t get the chance to start a game this year.

“It was a nice surprise to get the start. I was planning on competing for time but I am happy I did and could perform well,” Lippert said, crediting his success to Northeastern’s experienced coaching staff. “Coach [Neil] McPhee knows his stuff and is very supportive. Everyone plays for each other and supports each other, it’s just nice when everyone gets along and we can play great ball.”

Hailing from Devon, Pa., Lippert admitted that after growing up around the Phillies, it has been hard to adjust to New England life with all the Boston Red Sox paraphernalia around.

“I am from the suburbs of Philadelphia. So I grew up a hard core Phillies fan, so it’s been difficult,” he said.

While staying loyal to his beloved Phillies, Lippert said he has enjoyed playing baseball for the majority of his life. He picked up the game when he was four years old and said he knows all too well the demands of juggling his student athlete life.

“It’s been tough being on the road so much,” he said. “I’ve slept in my bed about three times a week for the last two months. It definitely takes a toll on your body but its been a good experience and it’s the baseball life.”

A transfer from St. Johns University, Lippert said he couldn’t be happier with his decision to transfer to Northeastern and become a Husky.

“It’s a combination of the great academic experience, and the facilities are amazing. It’s an amazing place to be at,” he said.

When he isn’t throwing fastballs or working on homework, Lippert said, he values his precious down time.

“I don’t know what free time means. I just like to hangout with friends, watch movies, play video games, just relax at this point in the season,” he said.

With the season grinding away, Lippert understands his team goals outweigh any of his personal ones.

“The team as a group have a set of goals to make the NCAA tournament, to win it and keep playing well as we can together,” he said. “It’s truly a team effort. I just want to keep pitching well, be effective and help out the team.”

The Huskies will be back home tomorrow at 2 p.m. on Friedman Diamond.