Haute Fashion pumps up the volume in this year’s Silence and Noise

By Amy Eisen, News Correspondent

A model strikes a pose in front of photographers and audience members. Photo Courtesy/Lauren Engel

As loud techno music poured out of speakers, models ran around half-dressed in the dark backstage area. This wasn’t New York Fashion Week, but Northeastern Haute Fashion’s spring fashion show, “Silence and Noise.” The show, held Friday, April 5 at the Fenway Center, presented 41 looks from a variety of designers, including current Northeastern student designers and popular international brands. It was the student fashion group’s third annual fashion show as well as its biggest event of the year.

“We named [the show] ‘Silence and Noise’ because the show is a progression from simple design to more textured, patterned colorful fashion – the progression from silence to noise,” said Emily Plourde, a senior graphic design major and president of Haute Fashion.

The looks increased in volume as the models came down the runway. Early looks consisted of simple dresses in neutrals like white, blue and black. The accessories consisted mainly of large tote bags and sunglasses, and many of the looks were ready-to-wear outfits that could be found on any college campus. Men’s fashion also had a place, with a particular emphasis on blazers and button-downs.

Later looks in the show became more avant-garde, such as a neon green dress with one sleeve done in a pink pattern and a backless scarf top. The clothes became edgier and more unusual, highlighting the difference between everyday looks and runway fashion.

“It was absolutely amazing,” middler psychology major Ashi Subramani said. “The beginning looks were day-to-day and then they became crazier, more of the runway. I had never been to the fashion show; we came to support friends who were modeling.”

Freshman criminal justice major Colton Saucerman was also there to support a friend who was modeling.

“I thought the show went really well,” Saucerman said. “I had judged a fashion show year last year; I made a player appearance for my hockey team. It was more fun this time, not having to critique. I’ll totally come back next year.”

All 20 models were Northeastern students, chosen through an audition process judged by members of Haute Fashion.

Brandi Stawicki, an undeclared freshman, had a great time modeling in the show.

“It was amazing, I loved seeing how many people showed up. The fashion was amazing,” Stawicki said.

The models were styled by the group, and had little say in the outfits that they wore. “Except my shoes. I was glad I could wear my own shoes,” Stawiciki said as she showed off her black and metal studded high heels.

There were a total of six brands, two of which were composed of Northeastern students and the other four being local boutiques or international companies. There were also three brands presenting accessories.

“Last year we used corporate fashion. This year we styled everything, so there was more group collaboration and input,” Plourde said.

The accessory designers included Angela & Roi, a handbag brand designed by current Northeastern student Angela Lee, and Northeastern student Maggie Antalek, a jewelry designer, as well as online Boston-based accessories company BluePosh.

Northeastern student designers Abhinav Adi and duo L.O.R showcased several looks, with Adi presenting a series of black and white tank tops designed for the college student. L.O.R, who presented at New York Fashion Week this past February, produced some of the most unconventional – and loudest – looks through the use of color, pattern, form and exposure.

In addition to student designers, several international brands lent clothes for the show. Jack Wills, a British brand aimed chiefly at college students, provided the majority of the everyday looks. Several dresses were offered by South Boston-based boutique Habit and large-scale fashion website UsTrendy. REVIVALS, an open collective of designers, provided some of the louder looks, such as skirts done in a Mickey Mouse print and heavily studded leather jackets.

Northeastern proved its passion for fashion this week when the show sold out all 200 tickets.