Frat raises funds with planks

Members of Phi Delta Theta performed planks for $1 on Tuesday to raise money for an injured brother at the Rochester Institute of Technology.
News Staff Photo/Matt Greene

By Julia Barnes, News Correspondent

With yoga mats unrolled and muscles prepared for endurance on a sunny Tuesday, the Northeastern chapter of Phi Delta Theta displayed true brotherhood.

In honor of their Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) brother, Steve “Plank” Sapp, the fraternity held a “Planks for Plank” fundraiser in Snell Quad. Planking is an exercise which calls for a person to hold themselves in a horizontal position inches above the ground while resting on their forearms.

Sapp was hospitalized and is in a coma after an auto accident on March 22. Planking one minute for every dollar donated, the fraternity worked from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. to raise money to help Sapp’s family cover medical bills.

The event came as a spur of the moment decision after the fundraising chair of the fraternity, Alejandro Alvarez, a sophomore music industry major, received news of the tragedy from a sorority sister at R.I.T.

As a relatively new addition to campus Greek life, this is the first time Phi Delta Theta has held such a fundraiser. Because the idea came at the last minute, Alvarez said he did not know what to expect.

None of the Northeastern brothers have ever met Sapp. Two members of the R.I.T. chapter were especially impressed with the endeavor and traveled from New York to visit and show their support.

One brother, Kyle Budde, a fourth year mechanical engineering technology major at RIT and Sapp’s roommate, said, “[The news of the accident] hit me hard, especially when I found out.”

Within the two weeks since the accident occurred, they have managed to raise $10,000.

Just narrowly missing its goal of $1,500, the Northeastern group was able to raise $1,317 and collectively performed a total of 21 hours and 57 minutes of planking, Alvarez said. Members will donate their own money from previous fundraising efforts cover the balance of their goal.

“But anything that could help offset the cost for the family is helpful and very much appreciated. We’re trying everything we can to help them out in any shape possible,” Budde said.

“It just blows me away that none of these brothers know him at all,” he said. “It’s really breathtaking and touching.”