Editorial: A senseless act, a world of hope

Sir Isaac Newton would say every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Monday’s devastating events suggest the same cannot be said for mankind; in the face of tragedy, the people of Boston showed such horrific events have not an equal reaction, but one that is much greater.

Monday was a day of humanity. The city of Boston witnessed the worst of humanity on an otherwise beautiful Patriots Day, but we also witnessed the best of humanity. No number of bombs, no amount of terror, no amount evil can eclipse the actions of the heroes – war veterans called back to duty and ordinary people turned heroes alike – who sprung to the rescue after the bombs went off. Even amid such an unthinkable tragedy, we all have a lot to be thankful for, much of which can be attributed to the altruistic heroism exhibited at the scene of the explosions, and by the medical professionals, emergency responders and law enforcement officers who responded.

As tragic as it is that there were three fatalities, given the nature of the event and the nature of some of the injuries, it is truly remarkable that only three people were killed. As the world seeks answers, stories have come out of unbelievable acts of selflessness. The man in the cowboy hat who saved a stranger’s life. The mysterious Sergeant Tyler who comforted Northeastern’s own Victoria. The runners who ran on to MGH to donate blood. The doctors and nurses who worked – and are still working – tirelessly to save countless lives in the operating room. The mass of people running towards the explosion because complete strangers – but fellow humans – were in trouble. The list could go on forever.

And as Boston struggled to comprehend what had happened, the shows of solidarity poured out. The shrines and signs that popped up on Boylston Street and around the city. The vigils in universities, parks and churches across Boston and Massachusetts. The donations that have flooded into One Fund Boston. The blood donors hospitals had to turn away because they couldn’t handle the volume. The eateries that served free food and drinks to emergency workers. The people who let stranded runners into their homes for the night. The museums that waived admission prices to provide a peaceful environment to contrast with Monday’s events. This list, as well, could go on forever.

While Boston is reeling, messages of support are flooding in from around the country. There is a feeling of solidarity in the air. The normally fast pace of Boston life, in which most seem too enveloped in their own affairs to give any attention to others, has been replaced with a peaceful tranquility. Bostonians have become family members, and Americans have become Bostonians.

Monday’s events have shown us the true spirit of Boston. Rough on the outside maybe, but on the inside, Boston is a city of brothers and sisters, unified against those who seek to harm, and all of America is standing arm and arm with us. While we were all reminded of the evil that exists in the world on Monday, by Tuesday, even with fresh memories of the terror, it seemed difficult to believe that such evil could exist in a world full of such good.