Editorial: Don’t sacrifice values for revenge

The weeks since the horrific Boston marathon bombings have been, above all else, characterized by the resilience of mankind and the tremendous show of communal support. These last few weeks have shown how the people of Boston and America can truly come together to show off the best of humanity in the wake of a senseless tragedy. Now, as we begin to put the pieces together, search for answers and bring those responsible to justice, it is important not to lose sight of our principles and risk sacrificing all we have accomplished as a people since Patriots Day.

While emotions are running understandably high, Bay Staters and Americans in general need to remember that our principles are what give us moral authority over terrorists in the first place. Among the universal and inalienable principles that Americans need to stick to through good times and bad is the equality of all, fair and reasonable punishment, the right to legal defense and respect for the dead.

Ever since the two marathon suspects were identified and one was subsequently killed and the other captured, there has been some disconcerting talk about how the case should be handled moving forward, with some people initially suggesting on Twitter that the surviving suspect should be released into Fenway Park on bat day or that his head should be used as the puck at a Bruins game. These suggestions were clearly not serious, but even in rhetoric American principles should be upheld.

Many have been seriously suggesting, however, that the surviving Tsarnaev brother should be tried in a military court. Republican Senators John McCain, Lindsey Graham and Kelly Ayotte presented the legal argument for doing so in a Boston Globe op-ed last week. While their legal argument might be sound, it is still contrary to the American value that all Americans – and said suspect is an American citizen ­– should be treated equally. No one would have made these suggestions were the two Christians of European descent and born in America.

Likewise, Americans should recognize that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, like all other alleged murders, has a right to a lawyer. Furthermore, Tsarnaev’s lawyers shouldn’t be scorned for defending the suspect of such a heinous crime. Tsarnaev’s defense team is performing a necessary but thankless job, and it is first and foremost standing up for our judicial process. It is worth noting that even before our Constitution, before the Bill of Rights was added, and long before the Supreme Court interpreted the Constitution to universally apply a right to legal representation in the landmark case Gideon v Wainwright, prominent founding father and future President John Adams represented those accused of murder in the Boston Massacre, because doing so embodies the American spirit.

Most recently, the reaction to the handling of the deceased suspect’s body has been borderline disgraceful. While cremation or returning the body to Russia may be more practical options than burial, a proper burial will cause no further harm. Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and Cambridge City Manager Robert Healy have both refused to allow Tamerlan Tsarnaev to be buried in their cities, and protesters gathered outside of the funeral home in which Tsarnaev’s body is currently resting for several days. But even Osama bin Laden, a far worse terrorist than the elder Tsarnaev, was given a proper Muslim burial – albeit at sea – after Navy SEALs killed him in 2011.

Terrorism can only affect us as much as we allow it to. They can maim and kill innocents, they can rob people of their lives and limbs, and they can shatter a city and nation’s sense of security. But terrorists will never accomplish what they set out to do unless they are able to make us waiver on our principles. It is easy to see the bombing suspects as subhuman savages, and maybe that’s all they are, but our values exist for a reason and they shouldn’t be sacrificed for revenge. And at the end of the day, these two are no different from any other murders, and they should be treated as such.