What Boston Summers Have To Offer

Photo Courtesy/ Creative Commons/ BostonPhotoSphere

By Jodie Ng, News Correspondent

With the white blanket of snow gone and the summer sun out, the Northeastern campus may be a little silent but Boston continues to offer a variety of options to keep Huskies busy throughout summer vacation.

The beach is always a great place to start. Revere Beach, just north of Boston, is America’s oldest public beach and hosts an annual sand sculpting competition. The beach is easily accessible by taking the Blue Line to Wonderland Station followed by a short walk. Carson Beach is also another popular destination that is easy to get to simply by taking the red line and getting off at JFK/UMass and walking for roughly fifteen minutes.

The beaches aren’t just there to soak in the sun — one can also get some exercise by swimming, going for a run or a bike ride to enjoy the scenery.

Another relaxing option is to go on a swan boat ride, a tradition in Boston for more than 130 years. Swan Boats, a 15 minute ride for $2.75, take patrons around the nation’s first public botanical garden — the Boston Public Garden.

For those 21 and older, Downtown Crossing hosts weekly block parties free of admission at Summer Street Plaza. With a selection of beer and wine and concerts every week on Tuesdays and Thursdays, anyone can enjoy the vibrant and busy atmosphere in the heart of downtown.

Summer vacation can also be an opportunity to visit some of Boston’s main attractions. These include the New England Aquarium, Museum of Science, the Skywalk Observatory at the Prudential Center, the Museum of Fine Arts, the Harvard Museum of Natural History and the Old State House.

The New England Aquarium on the Blue Line is where people can enjoy marine life and wrap up the day with a delicious meal at Quincy Market, located just a few blocks away. The Museum of Fine Arts, which is located incredibly close to campus and is free for Northeastern students, offers a display of fine arts through periods of time.

Treat yourself to a food adventure around Boston. For delicious Asian food, you can visit Chinatown. There is an affordable Malaysian Restaurant, Penang, located on Washington Street and right across from the restaurant is an inexpensive Cantonese restaurant, with most meals under $20, that serves all day “dim sum.” The North End is famous for its Italian food and you can top off the meal with dessert at Mike’s Pastry. For something closer to campus, Five Guys recently opened down on Huntington Avenue, close to Panera Bread.

Concerts and movies are also a popular attraction during the summer. The Boston Harbor Hotel hosts their Summer in the City series featuring concerts and films by the harbor and the WBZ Radio offers Free Friday Flicks along the Charles River Esplanade.

Boston is also organizing a new music festival, Boston Calling, which is scheduled for May 25 and 26 at City Hall Plaza. Boston Calling will feature artists such as Grammy winners Fun., Tthe National, Of Monsters and Men and Cults among many others. Few VIP tickets are still available at www.ticketmaster.com and www.bostoncalling.com starting at $185.

Summer vacation is here and Boston offers a variety of options for Huskies in and around the area. From relaxing on the beach to partying in downtown to concerts, there is definitely something for everyone.