Kelly Clarkson, Boston POPS perform for Senior Week

News Staff Photo/Caitlin Walsh

By Caitlin Walsh, News Staff

Northeastern’s annual senior week festivities hit a high note May 2 with performances by Kelly Clarkson and the Boston POPS at Matthews Arena.

Alumni and current students — namely seniors graduating the next day and their families– were invited to enjoy the extravaganza that ensued. The crowd easily rivaled that of a Friday night Huskies-Terriers match up.

Conductor Keith Lockhart and the Boston POPS started the night off with a number of pieces on their own, delighting the audience with some hits by Leonard Bernstein, Aaron Copland and John Williams, among others. The audience was receptive immediately; as soon as Lockhart stepped on stage, he commanded the arena’s attention with his friendly yet elegant attitude.

The night bounced between mellow, dramatic, energetic and at times even groovy, with a surprise orchestra rendition of ABBA’s “Dancing Queen” and a fun performance of Duke Ellington’s famous “It Don’t Mean a Thing (If It Ain’t Got That Swing).” Most of the audience had no problem singing along and dancing, making the most of their night out.

Northeastern alumna Larah Khan, class of 2005, raved about the POPS’ performance during the show’s intermission.

“It’s really fantastic,” she said. “I really enjoyed the piece from Neverland, especially.”

The main attraction of the night, however, was American Idol alumna Kelly Clarkson, who stood out as soon as she graced the stage in her pink and deep blue lace dress and sequined heels. She started her half of the show with her hit “Mr. Know It All,” and for the rest of the show, her power and emotion did not waiver. Genuine and strong, her voice stunned the audience. Her recordings have a hard time comparing to the live show she put on that night.

Her personality lived up to her reputation as a sweetheart, as well — she consistently sang her praise of the POPS, stating her awe at writing songs at the age of 16 and now performing them with such talented musicians. Boston’s residents earned some praise, as well.

“You’re just a fun people,” she said with a laugh, not knowing how to put her love for Boston any better. She even confessed an old, secret crush on Boston-bred Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler when she was young. “We were totally gonna get married in my head.”

Though the show featured most of her major hits, like “Because of You”, during which audience members and Clarkson herself openly cried, and “Stronger,” which she dedicated to Boston in light of the bombings, and which people sang along to proudly. She also ventured into old-school territory, singing Aretha Franklin’s “I’ve Never Loved a Man.”

All in all, the emotion pulled from the audience was palpable. Pharmacy student Ryan Seagren more than loved the night.

“I really enjoyed the show a lot,” he said. “Not only did Kelly’s voice sounds phenomenal, but she was so sweet and really connected with the audience. The songs she chose were amazing and I just had a blast watching her perform.”