Runner Jenkins advances to NCAA Championships

By Jill Saftel, News Staff

Distance runner Eric Jenkins was the sole member of the Northeastern track and field team to advance from the NCAA East Preliminary Round in Greensboro, N.C. May 25. With his second-place performance in the 5,000-meter run (5K), the senior earned a trip to Eugene, Ore. for the NCAA Championships.

He was also named the United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Men’s Northeast Region Outdoor Track Athlete of the Year on Monday, although Northeastern Director of Track & Field and Cross Country Cathrine Erickson said Jenkins doesn’t let the accolades get to him.

“He just needs to run his race, not get caught up in who’s in the field,” she said. “He’s one of the most talented athletes in the US. He’s so humble, he just keeps moving and doesn’t let it affect him.”

Graduate student Nia Howard was the only member of the women’s team to compete, and while she was the last competitor accepted into the field, she finished 15th out of 48 in the long jump. Erickson said she tells the athletes to do what they did to qualify, and it usually all works out. Howard was just three centimeters off of her personal best, and two centimeters a ticket to Oregon for the NCAA Championships.

As with Howard, the two other Husky athletes competing were unable to match the success that had gotten them to North Carolina. Junior distance runner Brian Doyle was the only member of the Northeastern team to compete in both the 5K and 10K, which Erickson said was a good experience that will help him in the future.

Also in North Carolina, junior thrower Max Milder finished 20th in the hammer throw.

“I think it was a good showing,” Erickson said. “There was an understanding among the athletes that they are of national caliber. With just a few adjustments, they’ll be at the next round.”

Jenkins returns to action in Eugene Saturday at 6:23 p.m. The event will be aired live on ESPNU and ESPN3.