Column: Colorful summer tips

By Jodie Ng

News Correspondent

Add a scoop of vibrant colors and mix it with a dash of bling, and that old wardrobe can have a whole new look that brings out one’s best this summer. Perhaps even add the cherry on top (or bottom, rather) with a pair of new shoes.

Many people like to stay within the realms of their comfort zone when it comes to fashion (believe me, I completely understand) <italicized, cut this but try to start with small aspects before going bolder. Sometimes, one needs to look good to feel good (and vice versa).

Ladies, begin a new makeup trend such as a new shade of lipstick that you’ve always wanted to wear. For me, I’ve always wanted to try a bright red but if that is still too bold, go for a shiny lip gloss that brings just the right amount of attention to your lips.

You can then show off the beautiful makeup with a nice updo, even something as simple as a ponytail or a flirty, messy bun. When preferring a hair down style, easily create an awesome look by rocking out a headband.

Gentlemen, while makeup is not quite your forte, this summer is perhaps the time to try out a new hairdo. Maybe nicely gel it back like Leonardo DiCaprio or try the ruggedly handsome look that Patrick Dempsey effortlessly pulls off.

It’s summer and so the first mode of action should be to hide away the bulky winter jackets and sweaters and bring out the funky colors that emulate this season. Go bright, go crazy. You don’t even need to wear a bright dress to do color amazingly, you can easily wear a chic black dress, top it off with some jewelry and pull it all together with a splash of mint green heels (or whatever color you’d like).

Sometimes it can be a little harder for guys to do color, but try going simple with the color but still look stylish. Try a white T-shirt with some colored khaki pants. Simple, right? But with a nice watch (no, it does not have to be Rolex), hat and simple pair of vans, that simple t-shirt and shorts outfit is already upgraded. The entire outfit can also easily be classed up with a polo shirt.

Then again though, it is summer so one shouldn’t always have to hide under clothing. Show off that summer body with a new bikini and guys, show off those six-packs with those new swimming trunks; although, I would advise to avoid the speedo. Because I love to wear color during everyday outfits, I like to do patterned bikinis.

Looking good isn’t about spending all that hard earned money on expensive brands, it’s about doing what you want to do. With that said, don’t be afraid to try something new. This summer, try brighter colors that compliment the green grass, blue skies and golden sun perfectly. Summer is ready for you and you’ll be ready for this summer too looking fabulous as ever.