NU student arraigned on sexual assault charges

Photo Courtesy/Boston Police Department

News Staff

A Northeastern student was arraigned Wednesday in connection with the second of two armed sexual assaults that happened early Saturday morning in Mission Hill, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Patrick Barry, 21, of Medford, pled not guilty in West Roxbury District Court to charges of armed assault with intent to rape and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. Judge Kathleen Coffey set bail at $20,000, according to the DA’s office.

He was arraigned Monday for the first of the two attacks in Roxbury District Court for similar charges, where he also pled not guilty. On Monday, a judge set bail at $30,000.

Judge Coffey granted a request by Assistant District Attorney Courtney Doherty that would prohibit Barry from visiting his Huntington Avenue apartment, Mission Hill or the Northeastern University area. Barry is also prohibited from having any contact with witnesses or victims, and must abide by a 9 p.m. curfew. A protective order for the identities of the victims and witnesses was also granted by the judge.

Barry’s lawyer, Carlton E. Williams of the Committee for Public Counsel Services-Roxbury Defenders, declined to comment Wednesday.

The university released a statement on the assaults, saying by law it cannot comment on individual student cases.

“Northeastern applauds the speed and diligence of the Boston Police Department in responding to the recent assaults. The university is dedicated to the safety of all Boston residents, including our Northeastern community,” the statement said. “We are pursuing appropriate action in close coordination with Boston law enforcement authorities. Consistent with federal law, we cannot comment further on an individual student’s situation.”

According to an email sent out by the university, the first attack occurred at approximately 2 a.m. Saturday, when BPD responded to a call that someone had been stabbed near Huntington Avenue and Vancouver Street. Upon arrival, BPD found a female victim who said she was walking home when she was attacked from behind. She said the suspect jumped out from behind the bushes, grabbed her and attempted to sexually assault her.

Less than an hour later, BPD responded to calls of another stabbing at the intersection of Huntington Avenue and Parker Hill Avenue. The victim in that assault also stated she was grabbed from behind and knocked over.

Both victims were able to escape without life-threatening injuries, BPD said.

Barry is a member of the class of 2015 studying communications with a concentration in media studies and a minor in media production. According to his LinkedIn page, he is currently employed as a video producer with the university’s athletics department. Athletics declined to comment and referred questions to the university’s communications department.

Barry was arrested after surveillance photos of a suspect related to the assaults were released, according to the DA’s office. His next appearance in Roxbury District court is expected to be July 8.