Northeastern alum to star in new ABC Family show

By Jenna Decatur, News Correspondent

Much to the surprise of many, ABC Family’s newest reality show, called “The Vineyard” and set in Massachusetts’ Martha’s Vineyard, stars recent Northeastern alum Lou D’Agostino. Within seconds of talking to him, his charm and eagerness to share his journey were obvious. From his time at Northeastern, to how he got his latest gig in the television business, D’Agostino opened up with some valuable advice for his fellow Huskies.

A transfer student, D’Agostino attended Quinnipiac University in Hamden, Conn. before starting Northeastern in 2008. Although he enjoyed his time at Quinnipiac, he was drawn to the more challenging academics that Northeastern had to offer, and the presence of his family in Boston. During his time here, he took part in the Northeastern crew team. He quickly found it to be much more challenging and time consuming than he expected, forcing him to leave the team, a decision he regrets to this day.

Believing his English professors to be “some of the best in the country,” D’Agostino graduated as an English major in 2010. He credits his studies in aiding him immensely with his listening and research skills during the production of “The Vineyard.”

While he never explored his on-screen abilities during his time at Northeastern, he joined the New York Film Academy at Princeton University when he was 15. He recalls his time there as an amazing experience that allowed him to explore his passion for everything that has to do with television and film.

“Besides reading, movies are one of my favorite pastimes,” D’Agostino said. When asked who his favorite actor is, he did not hesitate for one second before blurting out “Daniel Day Lewis,” someone he considers a prominent role model in his life, and a person who has inspired him as he takes his first steps into the world of Hollywood.

D’Agostino was born in Venezuela, but raised on the southern shore of New Jersey in a town called Marmora. Although his roots lie in the Jersey Shore, he was adamant in stating that this new reality show, “The Vineyard,” is nothing like the MTV hit.

“That show is it’s own subgenre of reality itself. I would never down-talk the Jersey Shore, but this is going to be nothing like that. It’s very classy.” Rather, “The Vineyard” is a show that follows the lives of eleven young adults; characters that D’Agostino feels many college-aged people will be able to relate to.

D’Agostino could not be more grateful for this opportunity and experience as a cast member of “The Vineyard”, and hopes that his fellow Huskies tune in to its ABC Family premiere July 23. As for anyone at Northeastern who wants to get into the television business, he left some words of advice.

“No matter what people say, like you have a one in a million shot of reaching your dreams and accomplishing your goals or ambitions, just go for it. Do what you want to do.”

As for the rest of us who may not be looking into the entertainment industry, D’Agostino encourages everyone to make the most of the time we have left at Northeastern. After all, he proudly stated, “Northeastern was some of the best years of my life, which have prepared me for everything that I’m going to do from here on out.”