Newcomers bolster XC talent

By Emily McCarthy, News Correspondent

Following some drastic offseason changes, the Northeastern cross country teams are preparing to take on their Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) opponents this fall.

Last season, the men’s side finished third out of five teams at the CAA Championships while the women’s side came in eighth out of eight teams. Both teams will look to improve upon those finishes this year with the help of talented freshmen and returning upperclassmen.

“We have a really, really great class of incoming students,” Cathrine Erickson, director of track and field and cross country said. “We are at a completely different place from where we were last year. The women’s team is unbelievably different.”

Five freshmen join the women’s squad this fall, including Australians Lucy Young and Kate Johnstone. Rosalie Caracciolo, Jordan O’Dea and Kaitlin Plecinoga round out the entering class.

“It seems like you can’t tell who’s a freshman and who’s a senior,” returning sophomore Jocelyn Hubbard said. “The freshmen have really stepped up to the plate. Everyone’s main focus is to get as close to the top as you can.”

The men’s squad also picked up five freshmen and acquired transfer Zach Krause in the offseason.

Krause, a sophomore, transferred to Northeastern from the State University of New York-Buffalo.

“Zach is a huge asset to our team,” Erickson said. “He’s a real humble, team guy.”

The incoming freshmen men joining the Huskies this fall are Patrick Cunningham, Paul Duffey, Jason Lange, David McDonald and Connor Quinn.

“The people we have are very, very team-oriented,” Erickson said. “We have a group of guys who are super committed.”

Returning runners like junior Stephen Sollowin and sophomore Wesley Gallagher are among those athletes who help establish the unselfish attitude that the Huskies take pride in.

“Everyone really helps each other out in training,” Gallagher said. “We’re excited for the first meet.”

The new-look Huskies kick off the season Saturday at the Nassaney Invitational hosted by Bryant University.

Hubbard said that this meet will be the “first test to see where everyone stands,” and that it will be a good starting point for the team.

This season, the Huskies will travel to the Bronx to compete in the Br. Doyle Meet of Champions at Iona College on Sept. 21. On Sept. 27 they will run in the Coast-to-Coast Battle in Beantown right down Commonwealth Avenue at Boston College. The Adidas Notre Dame Cross Country Invitational on Oct. 4 concludes Northeastern’s regular season schedule.

Erickson said the talent and, most importantly, the teamwork, of the athletes could bring very good things for the Huskies this year.

“My philosophy is team first,” she said. “I’m very grateful to the athletes on the team who put their team first.”