Northeastern gets busy for back to school: movies, tryouts, auditions

By Mary Whitfill, News Staff

The first few weeks of school are a blur: between the confused freshman, first day of classes, scrambling to find a work study job and fighting the endless crowds at Rebecca’s, many of Northeastern’s September events fall to the wayside.

Although they’re often overlooked for back-to-school parties and marathon Skype sessions with summer friends, there are NU activities to fill the fall calendars of incoming and returning students.

Welcome Week Movie Night: Sept. 5

In attempts to merge new students with old, the Resident Student Association and Northeastern University Film Enthusiasts Club are hosting Welcome Week Movie Night on Thursday.

The evening will start with a showing of “21 Jump Street,” the 2012 remake of the 1987-’91 TV show of the same name, which stars Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill. The comedy features a pair of less-than-stellar cops who are sent back to a high school campus to take down local drug dealers.

Following the showing of “21 Jump Street” is a screening of “Moonrise Kingdom,” a romantic comedy about a 12-year-old couple who runs away and cause a local search party to follow them from their Rhode Island home.

The movie night is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. in Centennial Commons.

Northeastern Athletics Walk-On Tryouts: Sept. 6-23

Three Northeastern athletic teams will host open tryouts in the coming weeks, open to all interested NU students. Women’s rowing will host an open informational meeting regarding tryouts on Friday at 7 p.m. in the Cabot Center Team Room. As a varsity team, rowing competes in intercollegiate competitions throughout the semester.

The women’s diving team is hosting their informational meeting on Tuesday in the Cabot Center team room at 8 p.m. Head coach Aaron Paradis is encouraging all divers, gymnasts and ex-gymnasts to try out.

Baseball head coach Neil McPhee will be conducting walk-on tryouts for all Huskies in the Cabot Center on Sept. 23. The 2013 season represented the NU baseball team’s first 30 plus win season since 1997.

NU Stage’s “Into the Woods” Auditions: Sept. 11-13

The NU Stage Musical Theatre Company will be hosting auditions for the small roles in their upcoming production of “Into the Woods.” The informational meeting, where participants will be able to sign up for audition slots, will be held Sept. 10 in the Curry Student Center.

“Into the Woods” premiered on Broadway in 1987. The show intertwines the plots of several Brothers Grimm fairy tales and follows the characters to reveal the aftermath of their wishes, holding the various plots together with a tale of a baker, his wife and the curse that haunts their quest to start a family. The main characters are taken from the stories of “Little Red Riding Hood,” “Jack and the Beanstalk,” “Cinderella” and “Rapunzel.”

Open Classroom: Boston Mayor Thomas Menino: Sept. 18

20-year Boston Mayor Thomas Menino will be coming to Northeastern to host an Open Classroom in West Village F. For the fall semester of 2013, the Open Classroom series will focus on “Policy for a Healthy America,” and on Sept. 18, Menino will reflect on his achievements as a leader in public health during his tenure. Menino boasts a host of public health accomplishments, including the merger of Boston University Medical Center and Boston City Hospital in 1996, and his role in leading Boston to become the first large city in Mass. to ban smoking in public housing last year.

Each semester, the School of Public Policy and Urban Affairs develops the Open Classroom series, a graduate-level policy seminar that is open to the public. Following a one-hour lecture, attendees will have the opportunity to participate in a question and answer session with Menino.

NU Stage’s “Make it Big” Auditions: Sept. 18-20

Auditions for the student-written musical “Make it Big” will begin on Sept. 18. The production, put on by The NU Stage Musical Theatre Company, is about three young adults coming to NYC to make it big: a playwright, an actor and a “lost soul.” The story revolves around these three main characters as they develop through separate plots on their journeys to find themselves. Auditions will be held for small time roles and sign-up will be at a Sept. 10 informational meeting in 442 Curry.

Women’s Ice Hockey vs. McGill University: Sept. 29

The first game of the women’s ice hockey season will be in Matthews Arena against McGill University on Sept. 29. Women’s ice hockey at Northeastern boasts an impressive record as the team with the most Women’s Beanpot championships. A Boston tradition, the Beanpot annually pits Northeastern against Harvard, Boston College and Boston University’s teams to see who will come out on top. Following this February’s championship against BC, Northeastern holds 16 titles, followed by Harvard with 13, BC with four and BU with one.

The Huskies are 26-8-2 at Matthews Arena in the last two seasons and this year at home will take on three teams that reached the NCAA Frozen Four last season. The Huskies will be returning with five of their eight top scorers from last season. Women’s ice hockey season tickets are now on sale at Ticket Central.

Service Day: Oct. 5

Northeastern’s annual Day of service will take place on Oct. 5. Over 500 huskies participate in volunteer projects across the city on this day each year. Past service projects have included painting fences at the Esplanade Association, socializing with elderly citizens at Morville House and sorting children’s toys with Cradles to Crayons.

Service Day also offers low-commitment leadership opportunities for students looking to increase their involvement in both service work and in leading a group of their peers outside the Northeastern campus. Those interested in being Service Day team leaders will attend a series of three workshops, then lead a group of volunteers into the community to help serve the city of Boston. Pre-registration is required in order to participate.