Event Calendar: Sept. 12-18

Compiled by Sara Tucker, News Staff

Entry of the Week: Saturday, Sept. 14

Mix Fest 2013 will play host to three major headliners this weekend: Gavin Degraw, The Backstreet Boys and Of Monsters and Men. While these three acts may have nothing in common, all three will have listeners fangirling in their seats by the end of the sets. All are invited to attend, and the Hatch Memorial Shell, where the concert takes place, is located along the river, with beautiful views and lots of room to lie out a blanket and get comfy. Use of public transport is encouraged, Charles/MGH on the Red Line and Science Park on the Green Line are the closest T stops to the show. DCR Hatch Memorial Shell; 4-8 p.m.; free; mix1041.cbslocal.com.

Thursday, Sept. 12

Come experience local nightlife and check out some of the season’s most exclusive looks at Back Bay Night Out. Similar to New York City’s Fashion’s Night Out, local restaurants and businesses will offer discounts, free food and giveaways throughout the night. The popular store Free People will show shoppers how to get the hairstyles used in its catalog with DIY tutorials; it will also host a raffle. J. Crew is offering a 15 percent discount on purchases over $150, and the Huntington Theatre Company will sell discounted balcony seats for “The Jungle Book” at $25. More than 75 stores will participate in Back Bay’s Night Out this week, with sales and products shoppers can not pass up. Head to Newbury Street, just a short walk from campus, to join in the festivities. Newbury Street; 5-9 p.m.; free; www.bostonmagazine.com/bbondisplay.

Friday, Sept. 13

Learn everything you’ve ever wanted to know about Boston’s bloody past. From torture to grave-robbers, the Ghosts and Gravestones tour is sure to make your hair stand on end. Listen to horror stories about the likes of the Boston Strangler, Jolly Jane, Dr. John Webster and Cotton Mather, to name a few. This is a walking tour, so be sure to wear comfortable shoes, and to leave your fears at the graveyard gate. Atlantic Avenue and State Street; tours depart at 7, 8 and 9 p.m. and are 90 minutes long; $36 in advance, $40 at location; ghostsandgravestones.com.

Sunday, Sept. 15

Try your hand at haggling, or find an invaluable antique. The Davis Flea, a market just outside the Davis Square T stop on the red line offers products from more than 30 local vendors. After shopping, entertain your palette by checking out the assortment of snacks and fresh produce sold by local vendors from the Boston area and across the state. Other notable goods include everything from shoes to records to prints by the most obscure of artists. 52 Holland St., Somerville; 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; free; thedavisflea.com.

Monday, Sept. 16

Learn to kick some serious butt at the self defense training course offered by Healthworks Fitness Center for Women. This class, motivated by violence committed in the Hub, will teach participants what to do in case they ever need to defend themselves. This class is open exclusively to women, as the Healthworks Fitness Center has partnered with a variety of other organizations in order to offer this class free of charge. Bring friends and increase knowledge of self-defense while working out. Curley Community Center, 1163 Columbia Rd., South Boston; 6-7:30 p.m.; free; healthworksfitness.com/self-defense-training.

Tuesday, Sept. 17

The Farmers’ Market at Harvard hosts over 20 local vendors at The Plaza at the Science Center. Expect more than ordinary goods, and indulge your inner foodie by learning to cook dishes from all corners of the globe using the produce found at the market. Not limited to goods that grow in the ground, the Farmers’ Market also entertains bakers, creameries and even an ice cream maker. Many of the vendors accept credit and debit cards, so don’t worry about walking around with a pocketful of cash. 1 Oxford St., Cambridge; 12-6 p.m.; free; dining.harvard.edu.

Wednesday, Sept. 18

Experience one of the toughest and best workouts in the city this week. Hosted by Back Bay CrossFit owner Michael Cahill, challenge the body and mind, and push limits with this CrossFit challenge. This free event is exactly what exercise junkies need to supplement ongoing workouts or to convince friends that CrossFit is the best thing since sliced bread. Touted as a full body workout that focuses intensely on core strength, this workout will be a very productive step in warding off the freshman fifteen. North End Greenway, Beverly Street and Valenti Way; 6-7 p.m.; free; citysportsblog.com/crossfit.