Lonergan adjusting to first season as college coach

By Emily McCarthy, News Correspondent

The Northeastern cross country program recently welcomed a new assistant coach who, for the past 13 years, has helped elite middle- and long-distance runners achieve their Olympic dreams.

Matt Lonergan, a native of Brockton, joined the Northeastern coaching staff just a few weeks before the cross country season started. Lonergan’s new position was officially announced on Sept. 4 by Northeastern’s director of track and field and cross country, Cathrine Erickson.

“I’m really thankful Coach Erickson gave me the opportunity to get into college coaching,” Lonergan said. “I’m looking forward to the cross country season and the track season.”

Lonergan comes to Northeastern after spending over a decade in Eugene, Ore. where he was an elite coach for runners who were training to compete in the Olympic games and World Championships. Lonergan has coached numerous national champion and Olympic athletes, including his wife, two-time Olympian and marathon runner Marla Runyan.

Although he coached college-aged athletes in Eugene, this fall marks Lonergan’s first season as a college coach.

He said that the season has been great so far and that it is “exciting getting to know each individual” on the team.

Lonergan said that one of the major differences between coaching college and professional athletes is the lack of experience that college athletes have. He said it can be challenging because college athletes don’t always know what works and what doesn’t work for them in training and therefore are unable to offer that information to a coach.

“The first week [of the season] was bit rough on the younger athletes,” Lonergan said. “They aren’t used to the types of training, the volume, the intensity. They were a bit overwhelmed.”

When it comes to getting those younger athletes competing at the expected intensity, Lonergan is well equipped to make it happen. He graduated from the University of New Hampshire in 1996 with a bachelor of science degree in kinesiology. He will receive a master of science degree in exercise science and health promotion from California University of Pennsylvania in December.

Lonergan also has experience as a certified athletic trainer and a physical education instructor.

“I have a lot of varied experiences with coaching and sports medicine,” Lonergan said. “I can kind of relate to every level of athlete.”

Lonergan said that his demeanor brings a sense of stability to the program and that he hopes to keep all of the athletes on track to achieve their goals.

“I would like every individual to have a positive experience in terms of the season,” he said. “What goes with that, especially in their eyes, is being successful.”

So far, the 2013 season has been nothing but success for Northeastern cross country. The men’s and women’s squads both captured team victories at the Nassaney Invitational at Bryant University on Sept. 7.

The Huskies will be back in action on Saturday when they travel to Bronx, NY to compete in the Br. Doyle Iona Meet of Champions at Iona College.

“It’s going to be an interesting meet this weekend,” Lonergan said. “A couple new freshmen are racing this week.”

Lonergan has high hopes for Northeastern cross country this season. He said he wants them to have a competitive race in the New England Championships and hopefully finish as a top-five team. He also said he wants the Huskies to run well as a team in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) championships.

“I have a great time coaching,” Lonergan said. “I’ve always been a student and a fan of the sport.”