With new additions, men’s club lacrosse gearing up for 2013

By Jodie Ng, News Correspondent

When New Hampshire native Chris Tecca tried out for Northeastern men’s lacrosse team as a freshman, he was both nervous and excited. Now, he returns as captain and is among many returning seniors who are preparing for their last season.

“We’re kind of bummed out it’s our last year, but because of that, the fire is going to be burning stronger in us,” Tecca, a music technology major, said.

Seniors and returning players are pumped for fall action but new talent is also crucial to the team. Tryouts took place on Sunday at Parsons Field to narrow the field of players who will be part of this year’s 2013-2014 roster.

Having been in the position himself, Tecca has plenty of advice for newcomers.

“Don’t hesitate about it,” Tecca said. “Don’t be intimidated. Do everything you can not to be. Play as well as you can without trying to think too much and you’ll be great.“

This year, approximately 22 new players came out in hopes of becoming part of new head coach Ben Severance’s team. Severance is determined for a victory at the Pioneer’s Collegiate Lacrosse League (PCLL) and ultimately the Men’s Collegiate Lacrosse Association.

Both the PCLL and the MCLA are the main tournaments in which the Huskies compete. Although last season did not finish the way the team hoped, falling to the University of Connecticut, it is only a testament to the competitive level at which the Huskies play.

The MCLA is comprised of 200 colleges, most of which are located on the western side of the country. It is highly competitive and all teams conduct themselves as if they were varsity programs – a testament to Northeastern’s talent.

“I’m looking for returners to be back in shape, back at school ready to start lacrosse but then for the new guys, I’m looking for athletic ability, a little bit of lacrosse game IQ,” Severance said. “We’re looking for some potential.”

Severance is no stranger to the boys who make up the innate talent this team possess. He has been the defense coordinator and assistant head coach for the past two years.

According to him, his coaching philosophy is that while he may be more defensively minded, he still aims to provide more structure to the offense by implementing a variety of plays.

“We’re not only here to play lacrosse. We’re here to represent Northeastern the best way we can,” sophomore defenseman John Sirisuth said. “This school is crawling with blue collar workers who are passionate about what they do and I think the lacrosse team on the field, we are blue collar. We work hard. We will out-work any team in the PCLL and the MCLA”

These players are not only passionate about playing lacrosse in red and black, but seek to improve their game away from the Northeastern program.

Sirisuth played for Team Thailand this past summer and won bronze in the 2013 Asia Pacific Lacrosse Tournament. Others, like senior Josiah Baker-Connick and Tecca play for CroArt Lacrosse. Baker-Connick, along with Danny Brockwell, coached this past summer and lead their team to win The PrimeTime Lacrosse Shootout held at Babson College.

“There is no wrong answer and you shouldn’t be afraid. It’s really family,” Sirisuth said. “This is the year. It’s going to be one for the record books.”