Event Calendar: Sept. 26-Oct. 2

Event Calendar: Sept. 26-Oct. 2
6895670506_738aab0cae_n
Photo Courtesy/Creative Commons/Jeff Pioquinto

Compiled by Rebecca Sirull, News Staff

Entry of the Week: Saturday, Sept. 28

Flash dance mobs are so last season. This year it’s all about the flash fashion shows. Fashion collaborative, 19th Amendment, will launch a series of fashion shows throughout the night, all taking place on the streets of Boston. The company is all about democratizing fashion, so the shows will include many up-and-coming designers who will be given a chance to showcase their work and gain support from the public. There will be a series of three shows: one at 5:30 p.m. on Newbury Street, the second at 6:30 p.m. at the Prudential Center and the third at 7:30 p.m. at Faneuil Hall. Boston; 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.; free; 19thamendment.co.

Thursday, Sept. 26

Henna paste comes from a plant, has been used cosmetically for centuries and looks really, really cool. Learn more at the Henna Body Art workshop at the Artbeat Creativity Store in Arlington. An instructor will teach participants all about the history, traditions and application techniques for this unique kind of body art, as well as demonstrating some traditional designs. Walk away with new skills, henna knowledge and an original henna design that lasts up to three weeks. The workshop includes all materials and is geared towards beginners, so prepare to get your creative juices, or pastes, flowing. 212A Massachusetts Ave., Arlington; 6:30 – 8 p.m.; $25; artbeatonline.com.

Friday, Sept. 27

The Museum of Science opens its doors to college students for a free night of discovery and fun. Bring your NU ID and explore the halls and interactive exhibits, including the Theater of Electricity and a live animal show featuring over 120 furry, feathered, and scaly creatures. There will also be an opportunity to visit the Mugar Omni Theater, 3D Digital Cinema, Planetarium and Butterfly Garden for only $5. Be sure to check out the Gilliland Observatory on the roof of the parking garage for Astronomy After Hours. Come discover everything the museum has to offer. 1 Science Park; 5 – 9 p.m.; free – $5; mos.org/public-events/college-night.

Sunday, Sept. 29

Exercising outdoors can be a great substitute for those long hours or – let’s be real – minutes, on the Marino treadmills. But sometimes the heavy traffic and confusing stop lights of Boston streets present a safety hazard. Circle the City is an excellent opportunity to get some exercise in the fresh air without having to fear for your life. Blue Hill Avenue will transform for the day into a ‘paved park’, offering a car-free environment to promote healthy physical activity. The event features fitness clinics, biking and walking tours, yoga, live music and dance classes, or just come out for a run without getting run over. 2 Blue Hill Avenue; 1 – 5 p.m. ; free; circlethecityboston.org.

Monday, Sept. 30

Whether you’re a performer yourself or simply enjoy watching others, the Lizard Lounge Open Mic Challenge is sure to be a rockin’ time. Every Monday, 20 performers hit the stage for around 10 minutes each to play a set of two songs. Tom Bianchi hosts the challenge and is assisted by a guest judge who will determine the winner. After all 20 participants have had their chance, he will call back three contestants to perform one final song and then select his favorite. Come have a great night listening to or performing original music. You could be watching the next great chart-topper. 1667 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge; 8 p.m. – 12 a.m.; $3/performers, $6/patrons; lizardloungeclub.com.

Tuesday, Oct. 1

Mix up your Tuesday night with a rueda dance class at the Havana Club. Rueda is a Cuban salsa dance, done with partners in a large circle. The night begins with an hour of instruction, offered at both the beginner and intermediate levels. Afterwards is an hour of free dance time to practice your new skills with the whole room. No need to bring a partner or have any previous experience, as beginners are very welcome. Dress smart casual and prepare to dance the night away. Note: Must be 18+ to attend. 288 Green St., Cambridge; 8 – 10 p.m.; free; havanaclubsalsa.com.

Wednesday, Oct. 2

Do some good for yourself and others at the Boston Fashion Week Style Swap to benefit Project Hope. Organized by Boston wardrobe consultant Trust in Tricia, the event provides the opportunity for you to trade in unwanted clothes for a great selection of new-to-you pieces. After the event, any leftover clothes will be donated to Project Hope, which helps lift low-income women and children out of poverty by providing them with access to education, jobs, housing and emergency services. All clothes, shoes and accessories brought to the swap must be in like-new condition, and no more than 25 items per person will be accepted. 200 High St.; 5:30 – 9 p.m.; $20; fashionweek13swap-zvents.eventbrite.com.