Review: Insidious: Chapter 2 heats up like last night’s pizza

9317963949_7c5c5c8054_c
Photo Courtesy/Creative Commons/Ricky Brigante

By Khaled AlSenan, News Correspondent

Movie-goers may sit through “Insidious: Chapter 2” with a faint sense of déjà vu. In this sequel, director James Wan cooks up the same plot used in the original film: “It’s not the house, it’s your son.”

The film begins right where its predecessor ended. Elise (Lin Shaye), a veteran medium, has been killed after helping the Lamberts bring their son’s spirit back from “The Further” – a dark world inhabited by tortured souls who yearn for life. Dalton (Ty Simpkins) stumbled upon this universe through his ability to “astral project” in his sleep, where his soul escapes his physical body and enters the spiritual realm.

In the previous film, the Lamberts’ home became riddled with ghosts and demons, who hoped to occupy Dalton’s body. Elise instructed his father, Josh (Patrick Wilson), who also possesses such a gift, to enter The Further and bring his son’s soul back with him. However, despite the child’s rescue, Josh’s soul is replaced by an undead bride who seeks to wreak havoc on the family, using Josh’s body as its host.

Thus, the theme of “it’s not the house, it’s your loved one” is recycled. Viewers have to sit through yet another member of the family reconnecting their physical body with their lost, wandering spirit. Wan is serving his audience the cinematic equivalent of reheated pizza from last night.

Surprisingly enough, the Lamberts learn nothing from their previous experiences and end up moving into Josh’s childhood home, as if that would solve anything. Furthermore, Josh’s wife Renai (Rose Byrne) initially does not suspect her husband of any abnormal behavior. She is either naïve or painfully in denial of more paranormal activity in her life. The director neglected the opportunity to fully develop the characters from their emotional states in the original film.

The film slowly transforms into a mystery thriller as half the scenes are dedicated to the medium’s ghost-busting team and its attempts to uncover the boss’s killer. While lurking in abandoned buildings and digging in to people’s histories, puzzle pieces fall together to explain every supernatural scene that occurred in the first half of the film.

Their adventures feature few real scares and, when they do occur, they’re subtle and toned down. Yes, the characters are in danger, but it’s not portrayed terrifyingly enough to make you fear for your own life. After all, the film must live up to its PG-13 rating.

The sequel relies on its eeriness through sound effects and generic props that have been staples of the horror film genre, such as old children’s toys and corpses in bridal gowns. It borrows heavily from the cult classics “The Shining” and “Chucky.” When the credits roll, “Insidious: Chapter 2” feels less of a horrifying film, a la “The Conjuring,” and more of a messy fusion of “American Horror Story” and the adventures of Scooby-Doo.