Women’s soccer off to 2-0 start in conference play

By Matt Anastasi and Tim Foley, News Correspondents

The women’s soccer team opened conference play with its first two wins of 2013. The first came on the road in a 3-0 victory against the College of Charleston Friday, the second a 2-1 nail biter on Sunday at home against the University of North Carolina at Wilmington.

Friday’s victory marked the first win of the season for the Huskies and was also the first time the team managed more than two goals in a match this season. Coach Tracey Leone said she was extremely pleased with her team’s performance.

“It was really good for our team to go on the road again,” Leone said. “It helped us spend some time together, we had a great training session, and the team played really well, and they played very hard for each other.”

The Huskies took an early lead in the 20th minute when freshman defender Mackenzie Dowd netted her first goal of the season. The team maintained a slim 1-0 advantage heading into the second half, before sophomore forward Morgan Hilby found the back of the net for her second goal of the year in the 65th minute. Senior forward Hanna Terry’s second goal of the season in the 72nd minute broke it open, and junior goalkeeper Paige Burnett earned her first shutout of the year.

The Huskies carried the momentum of their first win over to Sunday in their 2-1 victory. For the offense, which struggled to score during the early part of the season, scoring five goals in the past two games is just what Hilby and her teammates needed. Hilby, a sophomore forward from California, said she felt encouraged by the team’s recent success on offense.

“We’re finding each other really well on offense,” Hilby said. “We are staying focused, and composed. We aren’t forcing anything.”

An early goal from UNCW’s Katrina Guillou following an offside call on the Huskies, put the Seahawks on top 1-0. Hilby answered with her third goal in four games when senior Hanna Terry found Hilby with a pass in the attacking zone in the 38th minute. After a couple of dribble moves, Hilby beat goalkeeper Liisa Rahkola and deposited a shot in the back of the net. The score remained tied throughout the remainder of the first half despite the Huskies’ seven shots.

Early in the second half, the Huskies kept the pressure on the Seahawks with a number of shots before finally breaking through when off a corner kick from Terry in the 69th minute, freshman Haley Sinclair put a header past Rahkola which proved to be the deciding goal.

For the much improved Husky defense, two goals were enough to secure the victory. In the second half, the defense held the Seahawks to two shots. According to Hilby, the defensive performance of late has showcased the team’s development.

“Our defense is playing great,” she said. “They are really great at staying with the offensive players, and doing a great job clearing the ball out. It’s really come a long way.”

A scary moment occurred late in the second half when a free kick led to a dangerous collision and the Seahawks goalkeeper was rendered immobile. Following the lengthy delay, Rahkola was conscious and moving, but transported to a local hospital via ambulance.

Despite that, Hilby and her teammates felt positively about the overall improvement of the team.

“It feels great,” Hilby said. “We all picked it up, we didn’t let it get to us. We came back from that bad start and just decided to win.”

After two straight wins, the Huskies must prepare for longtime conference power, Hofstra University.

“Hofstra is a great team,” Leone said. “They are well coached and have loads of talent. We hold them in high regard, and we expect a great match. We are very excited to be able to play them at home.”

At 2-0 in the conference, the Huskies will look to keep the ball rolling when they meet Hofstra Oct. 5 at Parsons Field.