Men’s basketball slated for Coaches vs. Cancer Tip-Off

By Emily McCarthy, News Correspondent

They might usually meet on the hardwood, but Massachusetts Division I college basketball coaches gathered at the TD Garden Sept. 26 over eggs and bacon for the second annual Coaches vs. Cancer breakfast.

“We all came together for an outstanding cause,” Northeastern men’s basketball head coach Bill Coen said. “We’re all competitors on the court but we had the opportunity to team up together and partner up together with the American Cancer Society and fight that deadly opponent. I think everybody jumped at that opportunity.”

The coaches announced plans for a college basketball tripleheader that will raise money for the American Cancer Society’s Coaches vs. Cancer program. In addition to Coen, six other Bay State coaches attended the breakfast; including Joe Jones from Boston University, Tommy Amaker from Harvard University, Derek Kellogg from the University of Massachusetts Amherst, Steve Donahue from Boston College and Milan Brown from Holy Cross. Former Northeastern associate head coach Pat Duquette, who is now the head coach of University of Massachusetts Lowell, was also in attendance.

The college coaches were also joined by first-year Boston Celtics head coach Brad Stevens.

“This is a cause that is near and dear to our hearts because of the direct family impact cancer’s had on us,” Stevens said. “We’re going to continue to support any way we can.”

It was announced at the breakfast that six of the Massachusetts basketball teams will compete in the Coaches vs. Cancer Boston Tip-Off at the TD Garden on Nov. 10. Northeastern and BU will kick off the action at 12:30 p.m. followed by BC and UMass-Amherst at 3 p.m. Harvard and Holy Cross will hit the parquet at 5:30 p.m. to conclude the tripleheader.

According to the American Cancer Society’s website, “the Coaches vs. Cancer program empowers coaches, their teams, and communities to join the fight against cancer by participating in awareness efforts, advocacy programs and fundraising activities.”

Northeastern sophomore guard Zach Stahl praised his team for being a part of the Coaches vs. Cancer initiative.

“I think its a great program,” Stahl said. “I think everything they do is something that I’m proud our team represents and stands for. I’ve been fortunate enough not to have anyone in my family deal with this but I can only imagine what it would be like for people with that, so for our team to be supporting it I’m 100 percent with it and I think its great.”

The Huskies will raise money for Coaches vs. Cancer later in the season when they host their annual “Suits and Sneakers” game night. The Northeastern coaching staff will trade their dress shoes for sneakers and Coen will donate money to the American Cancer Society.

“We always partner up with our student body, and I’ll again donate a dollar for every student that comes out and supports us during that game,” Coen said. “I think our students do a great job. They get dressed up in suits and sneakers and really show their support with the coaches. It’s a great event.”

Coen said the Coaches vs. Cancer breakfast is a great event and that he is proud to be a part of the fight against cancer.

“To have this event down here at the Boston Garden, all the history and tradition that this building represents and the Celtics represent, to have Brad Stevens take time out of his busy schedule and lend his support to this just means a lot to everybody and we’re honored to be a part of it,” Coen said.

“We’re looking forward to the games at the Garden and we’re proud to partner up with the Cancer Society.”