Theaters stage hits this season

Photo Courtesy/Huntington Theatre Company

By Christine Georghiou, News Correspondent 

With elephants and monkeys, roses and doomed lovers, Boston’s theater scene is back in full swing. The Huntington Theatre is presenting  “The Jungle Book” which has been an absolute hit–so much so that the theater is extending the showing until Oct. 20. And with two interpretations of “Romeo and Juliet,” there is no lack of family struggle on stages this season.

“The Jungle Book”

Straight from its dynamic world premiere in Chicago, “The Jungle Book” the musical has come to Boston. The Tony Award-winning Huntington Theatre Company stars in the Boston premiere of the musical adaptation of Rudyard Kipling’s book, complete with songs from the iconic Disney movie. Tony Award-winning director Mary Zimmerman and her team travelled to India twice to get inspiration for the sets, costumes, dance and music and jazz music, according to the theater’s website. Join Mowgli and his unforgettable companions, Baloo and Bagheera, on their musical adventures through the Indian jungle.

“The Jungle Book” is running every day except Monday, Oct. 14 until it ends on Oct. 20. Discounted student tickets are available. BU Theatre, 264 Huntington Ave.; $15 tickets for full-time students under the age of 25.

“Romeo and Juliet” (classic performance)

Join Actor’s Shakespeare Project as it celebrates its 10th anniversary season with a rendition of Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet,” the comedic, tragic and classic tale of the iconic teenage couple’s struggle to escape their parents’ feud and their tragic fate. The play is directed by Allyn Burrows and Bobbie Steinbach, with Julie Ann Earls and Jason Bowen starring as Shakespeare’s “star cross’d lovers” in the most famous love story of all time. Oct. 2–Nov. 3; Strand Theatre, 543 Columbia Road, Dorchester; tickets $28-$50.

“Romeo and Juliet” (modernized performance)

The Boston Theatre Company is also taking on “Romeo and Juliet,” but this 90 minute show adds a spice of political drama to the tragic love story. Boston Theatre Company is comprised of professional actors in their 20s who aim to modernize Shakespeare to appeal to contemporary audiences while maintaining the iconic language. Oct. 24–Nov. 2; Club Café, 209 Columbus Ave.; general admission tickets $15 (includes one free drink).

Boston University Fringe Festival

BU’s annual Fringe Festival, a collaboration between the College of Fine Arts’ schools of Music and Theatre as well as the Opera Institute, will be putting on musical and theatrical performances every weekend in October at BU’s Huntington Theatre.

“The festival’s mission is to produce new or rarely performed significant works in the opera and theatre repertoire, bringing performers and audiences together in unique theatrical settings,” the festival’s website said. Check out some of this year’s features:

“Dark Sisters”

The one-act opera based on the book by Gordon Honeycombe follows the heroine, Eliza, in her attempt to rebel from the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints, and her polygamous marriage to “the Prophet” and four “sister-wives.” “Dark Sisters” is directed by Allison Voth and David Gately. Oct. 11-13; Friday and Saturday performances at 7:30 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday matinees at 2 p.m.

“Black Dog Beast Bait”

This strange tale, written by Sam Shepard in the 1960s and directed by Michael Hammond, tells the story of a pregnant widow who hires two cowboys to help her defend herself from “The Beast,” a two-headed monster with telepathic abilities who is trying to end the human race. The three of them ingest hallucinogenic mushrooms to bait the monster and have wild fantasies on stage until the beast finally appears for his confrontation with the gun-slinging cowboys. Oct. 22–27 weekday performances at 7:30 p.m., Saturday at 8 p.m., Sunday matinee. at 2 p.m.

All BU Fringe Festival performances are at the BU Theatre, 264 Huntington Ave.; general admission tickets $7.