Night owls rejoice, Boston after hours

By Monica Cole, News Correspondent 

One of the greatest perks of going to school in Boston is the incredible range of nightlife the city has to offer. On a daily basis, the average college student has their choice of restaurants, movie theaters, comedy clubs, nightclubs and bars to visit.

If you’re into the nightclub scene or love to dance but haven’t quite reached the crux of adolescence that is turning 21, have no fear. Rise, located in the Back Bay, and open Friday and Saturday from 1 – 6 a.m. is 18+.

“Everyone who comes to Rise loves electronic music,” Mike Swells, general manager and a resident DJ of Rise, said.

On Fridays, from 9 – 11:30 p.m., Rise hosts Wonderland, an earlier club night where college students get $5 off the regular entrance fee with their student ID.

Swells describes the average crowd at Rise as “friendly, open-minded people who love to dance.”

The atmosphere at Rise makes for a fun and easy night out. For more information about Rise, visit riseclub.us and for more information about Wonderland visit followthewhiterabbit.com.

A popular nightclub for those 21+ is The Estate on Boylston Place. Club nights are every Thursday and Friday starting at 10 p.m. Estate Thursdays feature some of the best electronic dance music DJs in the world for a $20 to $30 cover charge. Laidback Luke is playing on Thursday, Oct. 24. Fridays feature more of a range of music, from hip-hop to remixes, and cover is $15 to $20. The Estate also hosts different DJs most other nights, and a schedule can be found at theestateboston.com/events.

If comedy is your thing, be sure to check out Improv Asylum, located in the North End, where your student ID gets you $5 off admission every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Improv shows are every night of the week, usually starting at 8 p.m.

“We kind of just specialize in a blend of sketch and improv,” Bryan Daley, Assistant Director of Operations and Production Assistant said.

Students might enjoy one of the Asylum’s newer shows, The Show Against Humanity, based on the game Cards Against Humanity, which happens every Friday at midnight. More information about Improv Asylum and a full schedule can be found at improvasylum.com.

For a good old-fashioned standup experience, try The Comedy Studio in Harvard Square, open Tuesday through Sunday. All shows start at 8 p.m. and tickets range from $10 to $12. The Comedy Studio showcases newcomers to Boston’s comedy scene.

“We’re more about developing new talent than just selling drinks on the weekend,” Rick Jenkins, the club’s owner, manager and host said.

Comics that performed at the Studio have gone on to write for Jimmy Fallon and Conan O’Brien. The Comedy Studio’s full schedule can be found at thecomedystudio.com.

Bars are abundant in Boston, so finding the perfect one can be tricky. Conor Larkin’s on Huntington Avenue is a go-to for Northeastern staff and students.

“People come to Conor’s because they always feel welcome,” Matt Pian, Conor’s general manager, said.

Conor’s also boasts some of the best drink prices in Boston. Open every day from around 11:30 a.m. – 1 a.m., Conor’s keeps its schedule busy with bingo every Tuesday and brunch every Saturday and Sunday. Keep an eye out in late November or early December for Conor’s annual Walk of Shame Party, a brunch where everyone comes dressed in their pajamas or clothes from the night before. For more information visit conorlarkinsboston.com.

For nights when you don’t feel like going out, Boston has plenty of movie theatres, such as AMC Loews near Boston Common. There you can sit back, relax and watch that new Joseph Gordon-Levitt movie you’ve been meaning to see.

But if new releases aren’t what you’re looking for, places like the Brattle Theatre in Harvard Square play classic, indie and foreign films. For schedules visit brattlefilm.org.

There’s also the Coolidge Corner Theatre, with special programs like “@fter Midnite,” for midnight horror films, or the Sounds of Silents, with silent film classics and accompanying live music.  Information at coolidge.org.

So now the night is over and you’re headed back to campus and you start to feel the onset of the dreaded late-night munchies. University House Of Pizza (UHOP) and Boston House Of Pizza (BHOP) are the go-to solutions for every Northeastern student for nighttime feasting. They each offer a wide range of foods from pizza and calzones to burgers, pasta, kabobs and gyros. UHOP, located on Huntington Avenue across from the MFA, accepts Husky Cards and is open 10 – 1 a.m. BHOP is also located on Huntington Avenue and is open 10 – 12:30 a.m.

This is just a taste of what Boston has to offer for college students. There is always something to do in the city. Who said Boston goes dead at 1 a.m.?