Women’s soccer off to 3-0 in conference

By Matt Anastasi & Tim Foley, News Correspondents

After a rocky start to the season, head coach Tracey Leone’s challenging non-conference schedule has proven to be just what the Northeastern women’s soccer team needed to succeed in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA). The Huskies won their third straight game in conference play Saturday, defeating Hofstra University (8-4-0) in a 2-0 shutout.

Following a 0-6-3 non-conference start, the Huskies have generated an offensive spark in their CAA games for a 3-0 conference record. Northeastern entered Saturday’s game having outscored the previous two opponents 5-1, a stark contrast to the Huskies’ offensive stagnancy early in the season.

The game started out as a physical defensive struggle, with five fouls in the first 20 minutes of play. Hofstra took four early shots, to no avail. Northeastern’s defense was finally rewarded for its efforts when, in the 22nd minute, sophomore defender/midfielder Shayna Blackwood converted a free kick into her second goal of the season. Sophomore forward Morgan Hilby added her third assist of the year, and Blackwood found the back of the net with a soft header past the keeper.

“Morgan is really good at controlling the ball in the air,” Blackwood said. “I knew once it was in the air, it was going to flick in my general direction and I just had to be ready for it.”

The Husky defense maintained its stronghold for the remainder of the first half, withstanding an eight shot onslaught from Hofstra, with three saves from junior goalkeeper Paige Burnett. Burnett has allowed only one goal in conference play.

“To shut this team out is a huge credit to our back four, and Paige,” she said. “She is really finding her niche and finding her groove, and it’s going to really build her, and our team’s confidence.”

The second period began in a similar way to the first, with eight fouls assessed in the first 20 minutes. Northeastern took three shots before junior defender/midfielder Maria Lanyi scored her first goal of the season, off of yet another Hilby assist. Following a dribble move, Hilby got past a defender and unleashed a cross-pass into the box which was headed in by Lanyi.

“Morgan’s scored on goals, she’s assisted on goals.” Leone said of the Pennsylvania native’s recent play. “She’s hungry and contributing greatly.”

The two-goal lead gave the Huskies enough support to secure a victory, but not without a battle. The game ended with 13 fouls and two yellow cards in the second period. Despite Hofstra’s effort, Burnett and the Husky defense were able to shut out their conference rivals.

The teams met twice last year, and after defeating Hofstra by a goal during the regular season, the Huskies were ousted in penalty kicks in the first round of the playoffs. In the devastating post-season loss, the Huskies held a lead until the 84th minute, a moment which remains in the minds of returning players.

“Returners definitely remembered that game. We’ve had a good, respectful rivalry with Hofstra, and our team came ready to play tonight.”

Coming off this victory, which snapped Hofstra’s seven game winning streak, the Huskies will look to sustain their momentum when they hit the road for a three game stretch. The girls will face off against Drexel University this Friday.

“Drexel is a great team. We have a lot of respect for them, and we have to prepare for them really well. We will get back to the drawing board Tuesday to prepare for this three game road trip.”

Before the team gets back to work on Tuesday, they can appreciate their three game winning streak, and their unblemished in-conference record.