Event Calendar: Oct. 31-Nov. 6

Photo Courtesy/Creative Commons/GoToVan
Photo Courtesy/Creative Commons/GoToVan

Compiled by Rebecca Sirull, News Staff

Entry of the Week: Thursday, Oct. 31

With its history of witches and mysterious happenings, there’s no better place to be on Halloween than Salem. The city celebrates with the Haunted Happenings Festival, a day of spooky events and activities, including everything from haunted houses and cruises to performances and carnivals. The whole day is packed with equal parts fear and fun. The night draws to a conclusion with finale fireworks over the North River. Enjoy a prime viewing spot at the intersection of Washington Street and Bridge Street to watch the night close with a bang. Take the commuter rail, 450 or 455 bus, or the scenic Salem Ferry from Long Wharf. Washington Street & Bridge Street, Salem; 10 p.m.; free; hauntedhappenings.org.

Friday, Nov. 1

Put a gruesome new twist on the classic circus performance with “Cirque of the Dead.” Presented by the Boston Circus Guild, this Halloween spectacular includes incredible stunts, a dash of humor and a huge dose of gore. With live music, burlesque, aerials, acrobatics, contortion and more, the performers are sure to shock and amaze. The show is hosted by Mistress of the Dark and Mama Bang Bang and features musical guest Emperor Norton’s Stationary Marching Band. Hang on to your seat as horrifying creatures, scary ghosts and vicious sociopaths terrorize the audience. Hopefully you’ll survive to see the grand finale. 2 Arrow St., Cambridge; 8 – 11 p.m.; $20; tickets.americanrepertorytheater.org.

Saturday, Nov. 2

Experience “Night of the Living Dead” like never before. The original black and white film, released by George Romero in 1968, told the story of a group of people hiding out from zombie attacks ravaging the countryside. The Post-Meridian Radio Players reinterpret the adventures of Ben, Barbra and the rest of the survivors as they attempt to fend off the army of the undead. Unlike most performances, this show is presented in golden-age radio style, with the cast members holding scripts in front of microphones and sound artists creating on-stage effects to bring the story to life. 204 Elm St., Somerville; 2 p.m.; $12; huboftheuniverseproductions.com.

Sunday, Nov. 3

Take a closer look at one of the most riveting health crises in recent history with the Timeline Theatre Company’s production of “The Normal Heart.” Written by Larry Kramer, the semi-autobiographical performance explores the AIDS epidemic of the 1980s and its social and political effects on the gay community. The show’s 2011 Broadway revival earned Tony, Drama League, Drama Desk, and Outer Critics Circle awards for Best Revival of a Play and it continues to captivate audiences with its thrilling and heartfelt portrayal of this tumultuous period in history. Performed at the Plaza Black Box Theatre, the show has an intimate setting, bringing the audience right into the action and the drama. 539 Tremont St.; 3 p.m.; $20; bostontheatrescene.com.

Monday, Nov. 4

Rachel Simmons is coming to Boston to deliver the keynote address at Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Leadership Conference and spread her message of female empowerment. Entitled “Good Girls & Great Leaders: Leaders in a Gendered World,” the talk will focus on how young women can be more authentic, assertive and self-aware. Simmons has previously appeared on Oprah and the Today show, and received national acclaim for her books “The Curse of the Good Girl” and “Odd Girl Out” which was later adapted into a movie. Come hear this phenomenal speaker and leave feeling empowered and inspired. 32 Vassar St., Cambridge; 5 – 7 p.m.; free; rachelsimmons.com.

Tuesday, Nov. 5

The New England Conservatory gets in the post-Halloween spirit with a performance featuring the most haunting genre, film noir. Segments from the films “Laura” and “Whirlpool” by Otto Preminger and “Leave her to Heaven” by John Stahl will be accompanied by music from the students and faculty. Members of the contemporary improvisation department create a completely original and unique music score right before the audience’s eyes, playing off the action and emotion in the films. The annual concert never fails to keep improv-ing. 30 Gainsborough St.; 8 – 9 p.m.; free; necmusic.edu/preminger-laura.

Wednesday, Nov. 6

Think you’ve mastered the Boston area trivia scene? Think again. “Champions of Champions” at the Middle East isn’t just any old trivia night. Part “Cranium,” part live game show, the quiz offers a night of hilarity, brain-teasers and unexpected antics with hosts James Lindsay and Richard Hawke. Win great prizes and show off your worldly knowledge. Here’s the chance to prove once and for all that you are truly the champion of champions. 472-480 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge; 9:30 – 11:30 p.m.; free; quizchampions.com.