Men’s basketball falls to Stony Brook on the road

By Zolan Kanno-Youngs, News Staff

It may only be his second game in a Husky jersey but redshirt junior Scott Eatherton’s play is already up there with the better Northeastern centers in recent years.

Eatheron had his second consecutive double double – something that hasn’t been done by a Northeastern player in over seven years – in the Husky’s 73-66 loss against Stony Brook University. The Seawolves have now won 27 of their last 28 games in Pritchard Gym.

Eatherton’s 20 points and 13 rebounds in 25 minutes of play was complemented by his fellow front-court grinder, junior Reggie Spencer. The forward tied a career-high with 18 points to go along with eight rebounds.

“[Eatherton] had 20 and 13 in short minutes so you can see his potential and Reggie’s just been a workhorse for us since he’s gotten on campus and he’s getting better and better,” coach Bill Coen said.

The production from the big men just wasn’t enough to counteract the red-hot shooting of the Seawolves and the continued free-throw woes from Northeastern.

Led by senior guard Anthony Jackson’s 17 points, Stony Brook shot 45 percent from the floor and 54 percent from

“We just missed some makeable shots and left points on the free-throw line,” Coen said. “We’ve got to make sure that when we do get the ball inside, we convert and we capitalize at the line.”

Pounding the ball inside was exactly what the Huskies did to ignite a 10-4 run after trailing 47-40 midway through the second half. Eatherton added to the momentum after a thunderous tip-slam, cutting Stony Brook’s lead to just 51-50.

After Stony Brook scored two straight baskets, senior forward Eric McAlister sent Pritchard Gym into an uproar by absorbing contact and nailing a three-pointer.

Although he couldn’t convert on the four-point play, the defense of Stony Brook held the Huskies at bay for the rest of the game. Sophomore center Jameel Warney was particularly exceptional, if not for his 14 blocks and 10 rebounds, than for his three blocks in the final minutes of the game.

Jackson and his fellow back-court mates, sophomore Dave Coley (12 points) and senior Carson Puriefoy (11 points), dictated a fast tempo for Stony Brook throughout the game.

“We ran into a strong opponent in Stony Brook,” Coen said. “They’re an established ball club and with senior guards, they’re very difficult to beat here at home.”

It’s the second game is a row the Northeastern defense has allowed the opposing team’s guards to have their way offensively. They’ll try to reverse that against Central Connecticut State University on Saturday in the Cabot Gymnasium.

“It’s a learning experience for us and our young back-court and we’re looking forward to getting back onto the court for homecoming in Cabot Gym,” Coen said.