Event Calendar: Jan. 9-15

Photo Courtesy/Creative Commons/hcplebranch

Compiled by Rebecca Sirull, News Staff

Entry of the Week: Saturday, Jan. 11

“Where’s Waldo?” is all grown up at this year’s Waldo Bar Crawl. This is the first crawl of the year for Crawl In Boston, a local bar crawl company started in 2003. All participants will receive great perks and giveaways, like $3 and under drinks, flasks, koozies and crazy straws. Photo booths will also be provided to commemorate the night and the costumes. Don red and white stripes and hit the pubs of the Faneuil Hall area for an evening of Waldo-themed fun. 21+; 12 – 7:30 p.m.; 1 Faneuil Hall Square; $20; crawlinboston.com.

Thursday, Jan. 9

Looking forward to watching the figure skaters at this year’s Olympics? No need to wait a month to get a fix of your favorite winter sport. Get tickets for the US Figure Skating Championship and watch the nation’s best skaters glide and twirl across the ice. The Skating Club of Boston will also celebrate the 100th anniversary of the championships with an opening ceremony at TD Garden entitled “The Hero’s Journey.” Incorporating over 85 performers, the ceremony will highlight the struggles and victories of today’s athletes and will demonstrate the incredible willpower and dedication required to become a champion. 7 p.m.; 100 Legends Way; $25; boston2014.com.

Friday, Jan. 10

When most people hear the word “doodle,” they think of bored students and notebook margins. But the Nave Gallery proves that there’s more to this form of art in its new exhibit, “Doodle.” Originating in the Middle Ages, this style of drawing has evolved from sketches for portraits to political and social cartoons. The exhibit, curated by Jef Czekaj, explores the ever-changing world of cartooning and the important role it can play in society, both for entertainment and as a tool for social change. Experience the work of 19 cartoonists at the exhibit’s opening reception night and you’ll never look at doodles the same way again. 6 – 8 p.m.; 53 Chester St., Somerville; free; navegallery.org.

Sunday, Jan. 12

Maintain the spirit of giving a little bit longer, and get some things in return at the post-holiday clothing swap. Join fellow members of the Boston community and the Sustainable Fashion Collaborative to spruce up your wardrobe in an ethical way. The Collaborative aims to promote a socially conscious marketplace and open up a forum for conversations about ethical and sustainable clothing choices. In order to participate in the swap, bring five to 10 pieces of lightly worn clothing and take your pick of as many items as you bring. Free pizza and drinks will also be provided. 6 – 8 p.m.; 284 Amory St., Jamaica Plain; $15; sfcboston.org.

Monday, Jan. 13

Just when you thought Frozen Fenway couldn’t be a sweeter deal, the park adds yet another attraction. Fenway Park now boasts a giant 20-foot high sledding and tubing ramp, known as the “Monster Sled.” It is located along the Green Monster and its five separate sledding paths travel 75 feet down the field, ending near the Red Sox bullpen. Sleds and tubes are provided at the park, free of charge. Patrons are not permitted to bring their own. Check online for the schedule and don’t miss out on the Monster Sled’s final day at Fenway Park. 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.; 4 Yawkey Way; $25/hour; boston.redsox.mlb.com.

Tuesday, Jan. 14

Jazz up your Tuesday night with the music of Nicky Schrire and Gerald Clayton at Scullers Jazz Club. Schrire combines influences from her London birthplace, South African upbringing and New York City residence to create a global sound. She released a critically acclaimed debut album, “Freedom Flight,” in 2012 and a second well-received album, “Space and Time,” in 2013. She joins with Grammy-nominated pianist Gerald Clayton for her new album. Scullers Jazz Club has been a favorite of Jazz enthusiasts since its beginning in 1989, including quality live music and an in-house restaurant. 8 p.m.; 400 Soldiers Field Rd., Allston; $20; scullersjazz.com.

Wednesday, Jan. 15

Check out one of Boston’s biggest and most well known Improv groups, Improv Asylum, at their weekly performance of the “Vanity Project.” The group’s founders and original cast members, Chet Harding and Norm Laviolette, will hit the stage with current actors, Jeremy Brothers and Matt Catanzano. Alumni and special guests will also join them in performing two long-form improvisations. The show is different every time but always hilarious, so get ready for big laughs and unexpected antics. 8 p.m.; 216 Hanover St.; $15; improvasylum.com.