New England Aquarium premieres new film at Simons IMAX Theatre

Photo Courtesy/Creative Commons/Ben Floss

By Patrick Morey, News Correspondent

The camera flies over an archipelago with bright green islands sprouting out of an azure sea. Fifty feet beneath the surface of the calm waters is a school of thousands of glassy sweeper fish, casting a radiant glare as they turn in unison. Below them, a pair of graceful, 20-foot-wide manta rays glide effortlessly along the seabed. Closer to the surface, a few monstrous whale sharks meander through the endless blue, siphoning gallons of water and microscopic life as they open their 5-foot-wide mouths to feed.

​These are just a few examples of the incredible images that viewers can expect to be immersed in while watching “Journey to the South Pacific 3D,” now playing at the New England Aquarium in the Simons IMAX Theatre located next door. The 40-minute film revolves around Jawi, a young boy from West Papua who ventures out to sea to learn more about the vast, awe-inspiring wildlife around him. Not only does Jawi witness some of mother nature’s finest work, he learns the importance of being a steward for the coral reefs and exotic creatures that inhabit them.

​“I felt like I was actually under the sea,” said 10-year old Caroline Reagan upon exiting the 392-seat theater.

Her father, Walt, supported the jubilant proclamation.

“The visuals were remarkable,” he said.

These astounding visuals are made possible by the 65-feet high by 85-feet wide IMAX screen capable of projecting crystal clear 3D images that do, in fact, make the viewers believe they are part of the habitat displayed.

​Having the Simons IMAX Theatre on campus allows the New England Aquarium to bring people of all ages up close and personal with flora and fauna from every corner of the earth. As noted by the aquarium’s website, the sights seen in “Journey to the South Pacific” would be impossible to exhibit within the aquarium building – even if there was a way to bring the animals to Boston, there is simply no comparison to observing them in their natural environment.

The same is true for much of the other wildlife in IMAX films offered by the New England Aquarium, like “Great White Shark 3D” and “Penguins 3D.” Thanks to the IMAX Theatre, however, these creatures and inimitable habitats are brought to life and experienced virtually first-hand by anyone who has 40 minutes and 10 dollars to spare.

Though these films are only 40 minutes long, they take months of persistence, patience and hard work to complete. Director of Underwater Photography Howard Hall and Producer Shaun MacGillivray spent two months filming in West Papua, braving harsh terrain.

According to the director’s production blog on the film’s website, Hall spent hours beneath the waves operating a three hundredpound IMAX 3D camera with a 180-degree field of vision, capable of producing some of the most breathtaking visuals in history. Filming under these conditions was not cheap though, as each roll of film lasts only three minutes and costs about $1,500.

​The result of all this work was the incredible visual experience delivered by “Journey to the South Pacific.”

The film focuses on gentle, defenseless creatures that need help ensuring their survival and protecting their habitat. Although conservation efforts have improved the condition of coral reefs, overfishing and blast fishing have marred the habitat. According to the film and its website, creatures such as the manta ray and sea turtle are on the brink of extinction.

“[Jawi’s] enthusiasm for protecting coral reefs after his adventure made me feel confident about the future of marine life,” Emmanuel College student Miranda Boyles said. “The survival of our wildlife relies on children wanting to save it.”