Women’s hockey to clash with BC in Beanpot championship

By Sara Shaker, News Correspondent 

The two-time defending women’s Beanpot champions defeated Harvard 4-3 Tuesday at Conte Forum to advance to the final against Boston College.

Junior defenseman Colleen Murphy started the scoring off with a goal about seven minutes into the first period, with assists from senior forward Katie MacSorley and sophomore forward Paige Savage.

“I thought we came out strong,” head coach Dave Flint said. “We’ve dealt with adversity all year long and it’s nice to see that the girls got rewarded.”

Minutes later, redshirt-senior forward Kelly Wallace scored NU’s second goal off a pass from redshirt-senior forward Brittany Esposito.

“I saw [Esposito] win the puck off the boards,” Wallace said. “I have a lot of confidence in her, and I knew she was going to be able to put the puck on net or give me the pass so I just crashed the net and was able to make a touch. And [Harvard’s goalie, Emerance Maschmeyer] just wasn’t on her post so it went in. It was a great look by [Esposito].

Harvard tried to make a comeback at the start of the second period with a shorthanded goal scored by sophomore Mary Parker, but Wallace scored another, taking back NU’s two-goal lead a minute later on a power play.

“[That] was huge,” Flint said. “[Harvard] got some momentum there – them getting a shorthanded goal and then us coming right back. We got a lucky bounce, but that’s what happens when you put pucks to the net.”

Pushing the lead even further, freshman forward Hayley Masters slid the puck in front from behind the goal line, which bounced off a Harvard defender into the net, making the score 4-1 by the end of the second period.

The Huskies came out in the third period firing more shots but the Crimson were able to put some goals in, making it a closer game. Parker scored another one for Harvard halfway through the period and junior Samantha Reber gave the team its third goal with five minutes to go in the game.

With tensions rising, Northeastern scrambled to keep its lead as Harvard tried to tie up the game. Junior goaltender Chloe Desjardins came up big with huge saves for the Huskies in the last few minutes of play.

“[Desjardins] has been playing unreal,” Wallace said. “Part of the reason that we have been playing so well toward the second half [of the season] is confidence in our goalie and knowing she’ll be able to make those saves.”

“As long as we pick up in front, she’s going to make the save,” Esposito said.

Esposito’s assist in the Beanpot semifinal marked her 100th career point, making her the 24th player in program history to reach the milestone. She was named Warrior Hockey Player of the Month in Hockey East for January. In the last eight games, Esposito has scored six goals and had six assists.

“It’s an honor,” Esposito said. “Honestly, I can’t do it without my teammates.”

Northeastern has won 16 Women’s Beanpot Championships, which is the more than any other participating school. Last year, the team beat Boston College in the championship and they’ll look to do the same this year.

In addition to the Beanpot win, the Huskies beat the University of Vermont 4-2 on Saturday at Matthews Arena. The two teams met twice earlier this season, and Northeastern had one win and one loss.

Vermont scored in the first period but Wallace tied up the game in the second with assists from freshman forward Hayley Scamurra and freshman defenseman Heather Mottau. MacSorley had the two goals in the second period, with assists from Savage and senior forward Claire Santostefano. Esposito had the fourth goal of the game, with the assist from Wallace.

Before the team returns to the TD Garden, the Huskies must be ready to travel to Providence College in its next game Saturday, at 3:30 p.m. Then the team can devote its attention to the women’s 36th Beanpot final on Tuesday, Feb. 11 at 8 p.m. at Conte Forum.