Event Calendar: Feb. 13-19

Photo Courtesy/Creative Commons/IAVM WHQ

Compiled by Rebecca Sirull, News Staff

Event of the Week: Monday, Feb. 17

He’s stolen identities and millions of dollars, but now he’s stealing hearts. Former con-artist Frank Abagnale, the inspiration for Steven Spielberg’s movie “Catch Me If You Can,” will speak at Northeastern, telling the riveting story of his life of international crime. When he was 16 years old, Abagnale began posing as a doctor, lawyer and airplane pilot to cash in on millions in fraudulent checks, until his arrest at age 21. Now, 36 years later, he has come back into the public eye as a provocative speaker on morals, personal transformation and the possibility for redemption. Be sure to catch him if you can. Blackman Auditorium; 7 – 8 p.m.; free; myneu.neu.edu.

Thursday, Feb. 13

Get in the mood for Valentine’s Day with a night inspired by one of the most romantic movies of all time, “Casablanca.” The Goorin Bros. Hat Shop in Harvard Square hosts an evening of classy cocktails and live jazz music reminiscent of scenes from the classic film. Soak in the 1940s atmosphere while browsing the wide selection of headwear, including plenty of options that would make Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart proud. Not only will guests enjoy free drinks from Berkshire Mountain Distillers, but they will also receive 15 percent off their purchases. Hats off to that. 43 Brattle St., Cambridge; 5 – 8 p.m.; free; goorin.com.

Friday, Feb. 14

Whether you’ve met that special someone or you’re flying solo this Valentine’s Day, the Lily Pad in Cambridge has you covered for a night of music and fun. This “evening of unconditional love and rawk” will feature bands Hallelujah the Hills, the Dazies, Fagettes and the Nice Guys, all rock ‘n roll groups that are based in Boston, and have performed at other local venues, such as the Boston Hassle and the Middle East. This is the perfect opportunity to let loose and celebrate your singleness or get down with your valentine and remember how much you love them. Come out, have a drink and dance the night away. 1353 Cambridge St., Cambridge; 10 p.m. – 1 a.m.; free; lilypadinman.com.

Saturday, Feb. 15

Get your blood pumping and your imagination churning with “Lovecraft’s Unnamable Tales,” a performance by the Flat Earth Theatre. H.P. Lovecraft has garnered a cult following for his works of horror fiction, like “The Call of Cthulhu,” and even after his death he continues to thrill and terrify his audiences. The Flat Earth Theatre will present four of Lovecraft’s short stories, using the radio adaptation style created by A. Lehrmitt. Featuring a cast of 10 and live sound effects, the performance will bring to life the mysterious and haunting worlds created by Lovecraft, all designed to play on your innermost fears. Sit back, relax and enjoy the show; just don’t expect to get any sleep that night. 4 Pleasant St., Cambridge; 8 – 10 p.m.; free; flatearththeatre.com.

Sunday, Feb. 16

Whether you’re a regular at the opera or have never seen a show, now’s the time to experience the Boston Baroque at the New England Conservatory, as they celebrate their 40th anniversary. To finish off Valentine’s Day weekend, the Conservatory presents “A French Baroque Valentine.” The performance features Marc-Antoine Charpentier’s “Te Deum,” the French classic, and Jean-Philippe Rameau’s one-act opera “La Guirlande,” which tells the story of young love and the powers of forgiveness. Experience the beauty of a full period-instrument orchestra and talented vocal artists. It’ll ba-roque your world. 30 Gainsborough St.; 3 p.m.; $25+; bostonbaroque.org.

Tuesday, Feb. 17

What’s up, doc? Come revisit the beloved Bugs Bunny and the rest of the Looney Tunes at the Bugs Bunny Film Festival. Get your dose of nostalgia with clips of the now 75-year-old show, featuring your favorite carrot-munching rabbit. The festival will include several different segments, such as the All Bugs Revue, Daffy Duck and Friends and the Looney Tunes Revue. Shows will be screening throughout the day and the whole festival will continue until Feb. 23, so you’ll have plenty of opportunities to catch the tunes in action. Space Jam flashbacks anyone? 40 Brattle St., Cambridge; 12 – 6 p.m.; $8; brattlefilm.org.

Wednesday, Feb. 18

Looking for an astronomically fun night? Look no further than the Boston University Astronomical Observatory. Then look much further, as you scan the skies for constellations and celestial bodies. Every Wednesday, the observatory holds a public open night where anyone can come use the telescopes and get a glimpse of the world outside our own. Professional astronomers will be on hand to answer any questions and point out notable sights, of which there will be plenty. The telescopes are outside, so don’t forget to bundle up and get ready to feel the infinite power of the universe. 725 Commonwealth Ave.; 7:30 – 8:30 p.m.; free; bu.edu/astronomy.