Bestselling novels to hit the big screen

Photo Courtesy/Creative Commons/Rebecca H

By Stephanie Eisemann, News Correspondent

Hollywood has been hitting the books hard this year. While students have been studying for chemistry, statistics and thermodynamics, the film industry has been catching up on best sellers to create a long list of movie adaptations about to hit the big screen. Take a break from homework and treat yourself to these beloved stories come to life.

“A Winter’s Tale” – Release Date: Feb. 14

There is no need to wait for “A Winter’s Tale.” This film has already premiered in the spirit of Valentine’s Day. While there’s plenty of action in Mark Helprin’s 1983 novel, the plot is driven by Peter Lake and Beverly Penn’s eventful love story. The romance is set in a somewhat fantastical New York City near the start of the 20th century and stars Colin Farrell and Jessica Brown Findlay. Will Smith  also makes an appearance. What more could you ask for?

Photo Courtesy/Creative Commons/bookaholicclub

“Divergent” – Release Date: March 21

Are you a Dauntless, Amity, Erudite, Abnegation or Candor? These are the five personality distinctions assigned to Veronica Roth’s characters in her dystopian society. Centered in Chicago, Beatrice Prior is declared Divergent on her 16th birthday when she cannot be classified as any of the five types. Instead, she must fight for her own survival. Starring Shailene Woodley, “Divergent” has been promised success similar to “The Hunger Games” trilogy, and as the first in another written trilogy, it could have the potential to become a major blockbuster series.

“The Fault in Our Stars” – Release Date: June 6

Less than three months after “Divergent” is released, Shailene Woodley will return to a starring role in John Green’s, “The Fault in Our Stars.” She and Ansel Elgort will play the young, star-crossed love interests of Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters, respectively. The two face the struggles of having cancer together, all with wit, humor and adolescent spirit. (Uncomfortably enough, Elgort plays Woodley’s on-screen brother in “Divergent.”)

No one seems more excited about the upcoming release than John Green himself, who has been active on social media, sharing the movie’s promo material and interacting with fans.

“Sarah [Green’s wife] and I saw an early cut of ‘The Fault in Our Stars’ movie in Los Angeles,” Green wrote on his Tumblr page, fishingboatproceeds.tumblr.com in January. “We loved it. Really. It’s funny and sad and deeply moving and I walked out of the screening room a crying, joyful mess. Ansel and Shailene make for a wonderful Gus and Hazel … I’m so grateful to everyone involved with the movie and of course I’ll have much more to say about it in the future, but for now I’m just very happy to be able to tell you that it is really good (although still not finished!) and that I am very excited for June 6, when it will be in theaters around the US.”

“The Giver” – Release Date: Aug. 15

Lois Lowry’s novel, “The Giver, ” is set in a utopian society, or so it seems.  All memories of suffering are eliminated, as well as all real emotion. Only one person, The Giver, holds knowledge of the past. When 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the next “Receiver of Memory,” The Giver must bestow on him an entirely new perspective to save the society from making the same mistakes.  Written in 1993, “The Giver” is the first of a quartet, the last installment of which, “Son,” was released in 2012.  The story has previously been adapted for the stage, but the 2014 film will star Academy Award winner Jeff Bridges as The Giver with Australian actor Brenton Thwaites as Jonas. The renowned Meryl Streep and singer/songwriter Taylor Swift are also billed to join the cast, which makes for an interesting combination of veterans and breakout actors on screen.

“This is Where I Leave You” – Release Date: Sep. 12

“This is Where I Leave You,” by Jonathan Tropper, will bring the light of comedy to the movies next fall, in the midst of all these heart-breakers. But what better way to start a comedy than with a little drama? Judd Foxman faces a difficult series of events when his wife very publicly cheats on him with his employer and his father passes away. This forces Foxman, played by Jason Bateman of “Arrested Development,” to sit Shiva for an entire week with his entire family. He and his three siblings, one of whom is played by Tina Fey, must confront their grief and problems for seven days during a tradition their departed dad insisted on. Tropper also wrote the screenplay adaption of his novel, so the the original work should translate well to cinema.

“Gone Girl” – Release Date: Oct. 3

“Gone Girl” is one of two Gillian Flynn works being made into a film this upcoming season (the other being “Dark Places”). “Gone Girl” is a surprising and suspenseful mystery centered around Amy Dunne’s suspicious disappearance on her and her husband Nick’s fifth wedding anniversary. Nick, played by Ben Affleck, begins to look more and more guilty, but only the controversial ending will tell. After finishing the page-turner, grab a ticket to the movie and decide for yourself which is the true “Gone Girl.”

“Unbroken” – Release Date: Dec. 25

“Unbroken” tells the story of Laura Hillenbrand’s 2010 non-fiction book “Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption.” The tale will star Jack O’Connell as Louis Zamperini, a former Olympic runner who survives the crash of the WWII plane. He then spends over a month floating on a raft.  After finally escaping the vast ocean, he spends over two and a half years as a prisoner of war in Japanese camps.

Angelina Jolie will direct this strikingly true and powerful story of Zamperini’s struggle for survival to be released on Christmas Day.

“Serena” – TBA, 2014

“Serena” unites stars Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper once again, after their successful collaborations in “Silver Linings Playbook” and “American Hustle.” The two play Serena and George Pemberton, a newlywed couple trying to make their way in 1929 North Carolina after moving from Boston to ruthlessly build a timber empire. When Serena learns that not only can she not have children but also that George has already fathered a son, her vengeance turns from the competition to the family she’ll never have. This strikingly violent love story based off of Ron Rash’s novel of the same name may easily be a box office favorite.

“Wild” – Release Date: TBA, 2014

A memoir by Cheryl Strayed, “Wild” tells the story of a 22-year-old who has to deal with losing both her mother and her marriage in a short period of time. She reacts four years later by embarking on a 1,000-plus mile journey on an independent hike with no experience and no assistance. Reese Witherspoon will star as Cheryl Strayed in “Wild” on screen.