Spotlight Column: Skrillex schools naysayers with “Recess”

By Raffaela Kenny-Cincotta, News Staff

Due to its recent surge in popularity, electronic music has become characterized by a certain caste system among its fans. It is a system which firmly segregates the hardcore, musically inclined listeners from the cringe-inducing amateur ravers. Those sitting at the top of the caste have been listening to Daft Punk for years and recently discovered a rare recording of the duo from the early 90s; those at the bottom have been listening to “Get Lucky” on repeat for the last six months.

As far as those elitist electronic music fans are concerned, when a producer or DJ (i.e. Avicii or Tiesto) becomes part of the mainstream music scene, they may as well be throwing their musical integrity in a garbage disposal. It is for this reason that Skrillex, aka the chain-smoking, bass-loving Sonny Moore, has been slightly alienated by cerebral electronic music fans. After his breakout hit “Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites” began getting picked up by bros in fraternity houses, it was subsequently put down by DJs at basement dance parties.

Despite the guff I get from fellow music aficionados, I do really like Skrillex. When dubstep quickly emerged as the hot music trend of 2011, the media were searching for a musician to act as the poster boy for the genre, and there was Sonny Moore, front and center. He was young, his music sounded cool and he had a bizarre haircut; it’s no wonder the guy got so much coverage. You can’t blame him, though. Skrillex has consistently made awesome, head-banging, body-moving dubstep since the release of his first EP “My Name is Skrillex” in 2010.

This week Skrillex took a page from the Beyoncé playbook and released his first studio album “Recess” spontaneously via an App called “Alien Ride.” Overall, the album is a strong addition to the Skrillex discography, although it is slightly telling of where he stands in the electronic music community. Many songs on the album, like “Try It Out” and the title track “Recess” are classic Skrillex bangers, with heavy drops and frantic zips and whistles penetrating a roaring bass. This is the Skrillex that those molly-popping ravers want to hear. It’s the Skrillex that blows your mind with musical intensity. On the other hand, there’s a certain staleness that comes along with an artist doing more of the same.

Other tracks on the album, however, signal a new direction for the 26-year-old producer. “Coast Is Clear” comes in as a smooth piano ballad, and then quickly accelerates into a drum and bass track with a sexy horn section. Then as the song breaks down, the unnamed singer tells the listener to “dance like it hurts to stand still” as synthesizers soar in glorious crescendo. “F**k That” is another strong track on the album which displays Skrillex’s mobility within the electronic genre. It has a low, percussive melody, marking it as one of the most interesting and progressive songs on the album.

While some of the songs on “Recess” have Skrillex resting on his laurels and depending on that signature brostep sound, songs like “Coast is Clear” and “F**k That” definitively prove he’s not a one trick pony. Along with the release of “Recess,” Skrillex sets out this month on his Mothership Tour, making stops across the country including sets at festivals like South by Southwest, Coachella and Ultra.

Spotlight Playlist: “Yo, Skril, Drop it Hard”

1. “Cinema” by Benny Benassi (Skrillex Remix)

2. “Make it Bun Dem” by Skrillex and Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley

3. “In For The Kill” by La Roux (Skrillex Remix)

4. “With you, friends” by Skrillex

5. “Kyoto” by Skrillex feat. Sirah

-Raffaela Kenny-Cincotta can be reached at [email protected].

Correction: Then as the song breaks down, featured artist Chance the Rapper tells the listener to “dance like it hurts to stand still” as synthesizers soar in glorious crescendo. (See paragraph 5)