Column: The sounds of love

By Raffaela Kenny-Cincotta, News Staff

Whether going for a walk, taking a drive or hanging out with friends, music has the ability to heighten any experience from average to amazing.

Another act undoubtedly improved by musical accompaniment is sex. By no means am I an expert in the ways of love, nor do I claim to be, but one of the best decisions I have ever made for my love life was deciding to compile a go-to hook-up playlist.

Sex is weird, and the noises humans make during it are even weirder. Nothing kills the mood more than complete silence punctuated by strange groaning and moaning. Music makes the whole thing feel a little less awkward and a little more cinematic. It puts both parties at ease, and allows the moment to unfold naturally. Plus, making your own soundtrack provides the opportunity to receive a dose of auditory inspiration when needed.

Ideally you would make your playlist ahead of time, when in a state of sound body and mind. The worst case scenario is telling your prospective lover to “chill for one sec” while you, excited and inebriated, try to sift through your iTunes library for “Whoomp! (There It Is).” When you’re considerate (and sober), you will find songs that are unique to who you are and what you want from the wonderful human experience that is making love. Avoid gangsta rap and overplayed oldies. You want your playlist to have true emotional depth and significant personal meaning.

To end on a less sappy note, making a hook-up playlist also gives you the chance to give it a hilarious title, whether it be obvious (I’m having sex!) or subtle (I’m doing my taxes!).

Here are a few songs to get you in the mood…

Spotlight Playlist: Sounds of Love

1. “Crave You” feat. Giselle by Flight Facilities

2. “Need to Know” feat. Toddla T and Sam Frank by Swindle

3. “Celebration” by Kanye West

4. “Heartbeat (GRiZ remix)” by Childish Gambino

5. “If I Could” by Phish

-Raffaela Kenny-Cincotta can be reached at [email protected].