Women’s basketball coach Daynia La-Force hired at Rhode Island

By Aren LeBrun, News Staff 

The eight-year tenure of Northeastern women’s basketball coach Daynia La-Force came to an end Wednesday, as sheopted to fill the vacant head coaching position at the University of Rhode Island.

Northeastern will now look to fill the position left by La-Force, the 2013 Colonial Athletic Association Coach of the Year. Her career head-coaching record stands at 112-161.

“I have had the honor of coaching hard working, committed, and talented young women,” La-Force told GoNU.com. “It has been a privilege to represent a community passionate about Northeastern Athletics.

“I have appreciated the opportunity to represent this first-class university.”

The Huskies finished the 2013-14 season with a 12-18 record, which included a 6-10 mark in conference play. During the 2012-13 season, La-Force led Northeastern to 17 wins, the most for the program in over a decade. Both seasons ended earlier than desired, with two first round exits from the conference tournament.

Northeastern is returning 11 players from its 2013-14 roster, which included a total of eight underclassmen.

La-Force collected an 88-154 record during her eight seasons at Northeastern. After her collegiate playing career as a forward at Georgetown, she spent eleven seasons on the coaching staff of the University of New Haven (10 seasons as an assistant, one as head coach). She then coached for three years at St. John’s and seven at Long Island University before coming to Boston.

“We appreciate everything that Daynia has done for our women’s basketball program and for our student-athletes,” Director of Athletics Peter Roby told GoNU.com. “She was a positive role model for the young women within our program. She established a firm foundation upon which we will continue to build, and for that, we are grateful.”

Photo courtesy of GoNU.com.