New Proposal to Cut Carbon Emissions

New Proposal to Cut Carbon Emissions

By Juliana McLeod, editorial editor

On Monday, June 2, the chief of the Environmental Protection Agency will propose a plan to dramatically cut carbon emissions in the United States. The plan calls for 30 percent cuts — compared to emission levels measured in 2005 — by 2030, and is mostly targeted at coal power plants that create much of the emissions the EPA is fighting today.

On Saturday, Obama backed his actions by explaining that the planet must be a suitable place to live for children today, which is his responsibility both as the president and as a parent.

The president is taking a leap in this environmental decision by acting on his executive authority, since he received no support from Congress in altering emissions whatsoever. Obama is working under the 1970 Clean Air Act to promote the plan, The New York Times reported.

Due to the lack of support, Obama is receiving backlash on the decision from many who believe that the proposal will take away jobs from those working in or around power plants. Those fighting the new rule also worry over the negative impact the proposal may have on the nation’s economy without the income carbon delivers.

After the plan was proposed, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce announced that, if the U.S. follows the proposal, the country will see annual decreases in GDP of about $50 billion.

This move to decrease the amount of greenhouse gas in the atmosphere does not single out carbon pollution, soley, but is meant as the first step to creating a sustainable planet for future generations.

Christiana Figueres, the executive secretary of the United Nations Framework on Climate Change, said, “I fully expect action by the United States to spur others in taking concrete action.”

Power plants have two main options in reducing carbon emissions:  the factories can either shut down completely if unable to comply to the proposal or they can adopt a new electrical system, such as wind or solar-based technology.

Despite any backlash, the plan follows Obama’s 2009 promise of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 17 percent by 2020 and 83 percent by 2050.

Photo courtesy Creative Commons.