Laughs roll in as two comedians sell out Blackman: Margaret Cho

The audience members were asked to leave their insecurities and inhibitions at the door as they entered Blackman Auditorium. It would be a comedy-filled evening as Margaret Cho bluntly discussed several difficult and controversial topics.

Brought to campus on Monday by the Northeastern University Bisexual Lesbian Transgender and Gay Association (NUBiLAGA), Cho had the audience howling with laughter. The comedian, who was raised in San Francisco and has been performing since the age of 16, has the talent to make those around her feel open to issues ranging from sexuality to politics to religion.

During her performance, Cho poked fun at the process by which the new pope was chosen.

“All the Cardinals get together and they play Vatican Idol,” she said. “I bet if Jesus came back today, he would say, ‘That’s not what I meant!'”

Cho then rejoiced in the Massachusetts same-sex marriage rights by saying, “I think that all the gays in the country should move here. Have a gay Israel.”

Cho, an open bisexual, has always been known as an icon in the gay community. From her first show, “I’m the One I Want,” to her Grammy-nominated album Revolution, she has earned herself a strong and diverse fanbase. She’s even set to release a film, “Bam Bam and Celeste,” later this year.

Her popularity and current accolades are why NUBiLAGA went through the “extreme heartache” it took to get her to perform at Blackman Auditorium.

The planning procedure began months ago, said NUBiLAGA treasurer Kiki Brodsky.

“We figured ‘Why not bring Cho? She’s great and hilarious,'” Brodsky said.

It did not turn out to be so easy, as the original date for the show fell through, said Whitney Jablonski, NUBiLAGA’s head of advocacy and activism.

“We went to the Student Activities Office. They offered us a date with OSCCR during Integrity Week,” Jablonski said. “We decided that Cho would fit in perfectly because everything she speaks about speaks through the human spirit. OSCCR was very helpful in giving the date, so we made a bid and Cho took it.”

After receiving the good news, NUBiLAGA had little time to prepare for the big event. The Asian Student Union (ASU) came forward and offered aid. Mike Lee, President of the ASU, said he was happy to help with the promotion. The teamwork paid off, and Cho’s performance was completely sold out.

The show began at 8 p.m. with a performance by Bruce Daniels, an actor from “Bam Bam and Celeste.” He joked about the Bush administration, a common theme throughout the night’s performances. Cho expressed a similar opinion when she took the stage.

“It’s so horrifying that we have George Bush as president during the worst time in our history,” she said.

With a reputation for being outspoken about her political feelings, Cho displayed concern for the state of the country.

“Conservatives and liberals really hate each other, and it’s getting worse and worse and worse,” she said.

During the question and answer forum following her performance, she expressed her support for a more accepting society where diversity is accepted without need for an explanation. When asked by an audience member during a Q’A session why she does things that are not “normal,” Cho replied, “Why should I have to rationalize my life to you?”

Jessi White, a sophomore English major, summed up the main vibe felt after the performance.

“It was awesome. Are you kidding? Margaret Cho is always awesome,” White said. “She is kind of a fan idol for the GBLT community. She’s such a strong influence.”