Middler adjusts to fame as show progresses

A month and a half after his TV debut, middler communications major Andy Nikic is continuing his dream of breaking in to the cutthroat world of Hollywood.

On MTV’s “The Reality Show,” he remains one of six contestants who have been whittled down from 10 since early September. Participants bring ideas for their own show and get voted off, one each week.

Nikic’s segment “Life With Uncle Bobby” centers on the trials and tribulations of life in an Italian-American family. But the comic relief and heart of the show comes from its namesake – Uncle Bobby, the 42-year-old bachelor who never ceases to give Nikic invaluable advice on just about everything.

Even though Nikic thinks his show follows a winning formula, he still flies to California every week unsure of what’s in store.

“It’s nerve-racking,” he said, adding he hoped the opportunity turns into more than just his 15 minutes of fame. “I prepare myself for what it would be like not to win, but I also look forward to move on to bigger and better things.”

Each week the judges view clips from the individual shows and elect three to be put up for cancellation. Then MTV allows audiences from across the country to vote online or through Virgin Mobile cell phones, selecting which show will be voted off the following week. Andy Dick serves as the regular judge, but two other slots rotate weekly between Bam Margera (Jackass, Viva La Bam) to Corey Clark (American Idol) to Coral (The Real World: Back to New York).

“I talk to [the judges] after the show,” Nikic said. “They’re really cool with me, all nice people. They treat us like equals.”

The experience thus far, other than getting a hands-on look at how the media works, also comes with its own perks.

“[I’m] getting a taste of the life so far, like going out to a bar and getting free drinks [because people recognize me],” Nikic said.

One person in particular who has assisted Nikic in coping with this newfound stardom is communications professor Bill Lancaster. Lancaster has 15 years of experience working in television, including a job as a segment producer on the show “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous” and a brief stint at MTV.

“Andy is the embodiment of a Northeastern student,” Lancaster said. “He’s getting practical experience along with academics. That’s what this place is all about.”

But what are his chances of winning the entire competition?

“He has as good as shot as anyone,” Lancaster said. “He’s the real deal, no pretenses about it. He exudes an unfiltered honesty.”

Northeastern students also have their own opinions about having a reality star on campus.

“It’s kind of cool, but it must be hard. I wouldn’t want to do it – too much traveling,” said Amanda Haddad, a sophomore criminal justice major.

Erika Larson, a middler English major, said she personally identifies with the show.

“It’s funny because I’m from an Italian family, so I can relate,” she said.

However, some students are less than enthusiastic about Nikic’s success.

“[It’s just more] miniscule stars at Northeastern who do stupid crap and get noticed for it, like Shawn Fanning,” sophomore journalism major Chelsea Petersen said.

Nikic’s roommate, junior communications major Mark Bates, is behind Nikic all the way, noting Nikic has not developed a big head since the show starting airing. He said it’s actually been quite the contrary, noting “as the show progressed, he’s become more poised.”

Will Nikic make it to the end? Find out by tuning in every Tuesday at 10:30 p.m. on MTV. To watch any of the previous episodes on MTV’s archive, log on to www.mtv.com/overdrive and follow Nikic’s story from the start.